Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Format date field in Power BI service

I have imported an Excel file to Power BI service from my OneDrive for Business.

The file contains a simple Excel table and one of the fields is a date.

Now, in Power BI service, I get that field displayed as a whole number which isn't very useful to read in a report.

How do I change the field to display as date?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@webportal since in power bi service you don't get modelling part you can't explicitly mention data type for the column. so in that case couple of options as below,

1. can you use power bi desktop to connect to file and export ? if yes then in that force data type conversion to date for that column

2. play with formatting options in Excel itself and try different format options and see if it then picks up that column as of type date in power bi service.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@webportal since in power bi service you don't get modelling part you can't explicitly mention data type for the column. so in that case couple of options as below,

1. can you use power bi desktop to connect to file and export ? if yes then in that force data type conversion to date for that column

2. play with formatting options in Excel itself and try different format options and see if it then picks up that column as of type date in power bi service.

Hello,

Thanks for your help.

I found out if I change the data type in Excel to date, the field will also be displayed as date in Power BI service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors