Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Format Painter not working with new update

Hi,

I updated the power BI version released in October and since then, we realized that the format painter isn't working. This makes formatting a real problem. Any solutions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

I test with a few scenarios but the format painter seems not works for type custom visuals. (official visuals[same type and different type]: succeed, official to custom: fail, custom visuals[same type and different type]: fail)
According to the test result, I think the format painter may not work on custom visuals. 
Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@Anonymous Are you referring to adding custom colors? I ran into this yesterday and it appears that it just kicks you out if you include the "#" in the hex code. If you use only the number and paste that in, it takes it and works.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seth , 

I really appreciate your help.

I haven't used any custom colors. I just used the card visual across a page with different visuals interacting with it (something I have been doing in various reports for a while to highlight the key numbers), and when I tried just copying the format from one to another, I saw that the paintbrush icon which should show up on clicking the format painter is not showing up, and this happened during the first report I started working on after the update.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Hi @Anonymous ,

What version of power bi desktop are you test? Can you please share a sample pbix file for test?

BTW, I test with 2.75.5649.582 64-bit (November 2019) and the painter works well. (windows store version)

19.png

75.gif
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the detailed explanations @v-shex-msft  and @Seth_C_Bauer 

The best possible solution to this problem is keeping an eye out on imported visuals (from the market place or external downloads) as their compatibility may change with updates. I have started emphasizing more on visuals which imply verified visuals by Microsoft or not updating power BI unless I am completely done with a dashboard so I don't have to make major changes in case the formatting breaks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft , 

Turns out that format painter wasn't working only with additional visuals from the marketplace. Not something usual, the visual I was using was a timeline 2.1.1 slicer. This is still not working for some reason though I just copied and pasted the slicer across with changes in data manually for now. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

I test with a few scenarios but the format painter seems not works for type custom visuals. (official visuals[same type and different type]: succeed, official to custom: fail, custom visuals[same type and different type]: fail)
According to the test result, I think the format painter may not work on custom visuals. 
Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed @v-shex-msft , The best way to go about using custom visuals would be to copy them and carefully replace any values depending on the requirements and checking that the filters affecting the visual are managed as well. These do slow down the report building though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors