Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SimpoPower
Helper I
Helper I

Flow failing between Forms and Power BI. Any help much appreciated.

I am trying to configure a flow from Microsoft Forms to Power BI.  I have this working ok, but when I add branching questions in Forms, I start receiving errors.

To explain further:

I essentially have a form containing a question with 3 options, A, B and C.  If the user selects A, the branching rules open all the subsequent A questions, then hides all the subsequent B and C questions.  Simialrly if B or C is selected.

I have a mixture of Text and Numerical answers, however the flow always fails when one of the subsequent B questions is set as a 'Number' response in Power BI's dataset and also one of the subsequent C questions set as a 'Number' response.

(Note there are no 'Number' format questions in the subsequent A questions.  I also have the Historical Data Analysis setting 'on' as I require allot of answers to be stored for review)

PBI1.png

A sample error is shown below:

{
"error": {
"code""InvalidRequest",
"message""Error parsing request for dataset sobe_wowvirtualserver|590941f8-8b6e-4502-b3ec-e424243a4562: Conversion error on column '<pi>Requirements Clear</pi>': <pi>Input string was not in a correct format.</pi>"
}
}

If I change all the format settings to all questions in Power BI to 'Text' then the flow passes and outputs in Power BI.  However it then views the inputted numbers as text in Power BI.  

Does anyone know how I can fix this so I can have multiple 'Number' format branched questions in Forms, and for the flow to succesfully output these to Power BI without the above error?  Let me know if you need any further information.

Additional information to make clearer:

I'm not trying to create a data type from one question/answer in the form that contains both text and numbers.  The questions/answers are always distinct as either numbers or text.  The problem is when I add the branching rules (hiding and showing specific questions depending which original option is chosen) to the microsoft form, the flow always fails due to questions left un-answered set as number format (in the power bi data set). 

I have created another form/flow/power BI which has no branching rules, with questions containing numbers, also questions containing text and this has no problems.  Therefore the issue appears to be when the branching rules are applied.

If I set all the question outputs to be text with the branching rules, then also no problem.  However in Power BI the numbers are then in text format so I can't use various number features such as averaging etc.

Therefore the aim is to be able to have seperate questions with numeric answers, seperate questions with text answers (set in Power BI), and branching rules (created in Microsoft form), and have the flow work between them all.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SimpoPower ,

It seems the issue is about the FLOW, I'd suggest you post this issue in the Microsoft Flow Community forum for more professional help .

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Amy,

Yes tried this as well, but no luck so far.  I'll keep plugging away to find a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors