Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Xaraja
Helper II
Helper II

Fix a Mess - Datasets, Dataflows, Lots of Duplication

I'm beginning a huge project to bring order to a massively chaotic Power BI ecosystem where there's a lot of duplication of datasets. There are also a few dataflows, but I'm not sure from what I'm reading that these add much value in this situation. The plan is to provide one or a few golden datasets for the report builders to work from, where in the past they have just accessed the SQL server directly. 

However, I do need to consider future proofing the solution for when the source of truth moves to Postgres (Infor SX Cloud) and we don't have that SQL server any more. Would building dataflows provide a more robust back end so that reports and datasets wouldn't have to be rebuilt when that happens (1-3 years from now)?

I am also not understanding how the memory works for dataflows and datasets. If there's a dataflow with table x in it, and each report creator makes their own dataset based on that dataflow, am I looking at the Power BI service needing to have each of those datasets in memory to display those reports? Or is there some memory benefit to using dataflows? Our biggest capacity issue right now is too many duplicative datasets that are constantly evicting each other (report builders keep creating new datasets with the same tables).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Xaraja Dataflows simply allow you to reuse queries across multiple datasets, no memory benefit. To future proof, just make sure to use query parameters for your source and database names and to create a single query that is referenced by all other queries. This reference query would use the query parameters and would be set to disable "Enable load" and all it would do is connect to the server, so just a single Source line and no other steps.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Xaraja Dataflows simply allow you to reuse queries across multiple datasets, no memory benefit. To future proof, just make sure to use query parameters for your source and database names and to create a single query that is referenced by all other queries. This reference query would use the query parameters and would be set to disable "Enable load" and all it would do is connect to the server, so just a single Source line and no other steps.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors