cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
creynolds Member

Finding the Data Source

How can I see the path to the datasource from a Power BI report (web version, not desktop)?    I am able to see the file name listed in the "view related", but how do I tell the directory/path this file is coming from?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Finding the Data Source

@creynolds You won't find a direct path persay, but you can go to the dataset of the report, click on the elipses "..." -> settings and look into the data source credentials area. But you would need the original file to see exactly what is being used in the dataset.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Super User
Super User

@joshuabrock  Still the case. Alternative thoughts. Get the credentials of the consultant user and log into Power BI as them. This assumes that they had creds in your company. Have the password reset and go explore how they set things up. Hopefully it is just a matter of adding your user to the workspace as an admin. (Hopefully they used an App workspace to share and not personal)

Alternatively, someone else should be an admin on the workspace.... I could never imagine rolling into a place and building reports without someone from the company also being an owner/admin.... Maybe check with whomever hired them.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

@creynolds You won't find a direct path persay, but you can go to the dataset of the report, click on the elipses "..." -> settings and look into the data source credentials area. But you would need the original file to see exactly what is being used in the dataset.

v-yulgu-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @creynolds,

Unfortunately there is no such an option you can use to determine what the original source is and where it come from on service.

Please feel free to vote for the idea on our ideas forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
joshuabrock Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Is this still the case? As being a user who was only "shared" a report, it's still not possible to see where that dataset resides?

Having a number of consultants who've created reports and dashboards for us...those folks having moved on...it's difficult if I can't determine where this data resides for a report that was handed off to me.

Super User
Super User

@joshuabrock  Still the case. Alternative thoughts. Get the credentials of the consultant user and log into Power BI as them. This assumes that they had creds in your company. Have the password reset and go explore how they set things up. Hopefully it is just a matter of adding your user to the workspace as an admin. (Hopefully they used an App workspace to share and not personal)

Alternatively, someone else should be an admin on the workspace.... I could never imagine rolling into a place and building reports without someone from the company also being an owner/admin.... Maybe check with whomever hired them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 1,876 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: