Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finding the Data Source

How can I see the path to the datasource from a Power BI report (web version, not desktop)?    I am able to see the file name listed in the "view related", but how do I tell the directory/path this file is coming from?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous You won't find a direct path persay, but you can go to the dataset of the report, click on the elipses "..." -> settings and look into the data source credentials area. But you would need the original file to see exactly what is being used in the dataset.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

@Anonymous  Still the case. Alternative thoughts. Get the credentials of the consultant user and log into Power BI as them. This assumes that they had creds in your company. Have the password reset and go explore how they set things up. Hopefully it is just a matter of adding your user to the workspace as an admin. (Hopefully they used an App workspace to share and not personal)

Alternatively, someone else should be an admin on the workspace.... I could never imagine rolling into a place and building reports without someone from the company also being an owner/admin.... Maybe check with whomever hired them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JohnMakau

Although one cannot get a link, one can find the location of the source data.

1. Go the dashboard and click on settings button that looks like gear and click on settings

2. In settings, click on datasets on the top menu.

3. Halfway to the bottom of the page click on Data Source Credentials.

4. This will open a dropdown item then click on show lineage view.

5. In lineage view, click on the source file of the chart you're looking for.

6. On the right it will display a link to the file, clicking on it will download the file.

9. Copy the link and trace the source of the file.

Hope this helps.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Unfortunately there is no such an option you can use to determine what the original source is and where it come from on service.

Please feel free to vote for the idea on our ideas forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this still the case? As being a user who was only "shared" a report, it's still not possible to see where that dataset resides?

Having a number of consultants who've created reports and dashboards for us...those folks having moved on...it's difficult if I can't determine where this data resides for a report that was handed off to me.

@Anonymous  Still the case. Alternative thoughts. Get the credentials of the consultant user and log into Power BI as them. This assumes that they had creds in your company. Have the password reset and go explore how they set things up. Hopefully it is just a matter of adding your user to the workspace as an admin. (Hopefully they used an App workspace to share and not personal)

Alternatively, someone else should be an admin on the workspace.... I could never imagine rolling into a place and building reports without someone from the company also being an owner/admin.... Maybe check with whomever hired them.

@Anonymous You won't find a direct path persay, but you can go to the dataset of the report, click on the elipses "..." -> settings and look into the data source credentials area. But you would need the original file to see exactly what is being used in the dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors