Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Filter set based on user login

I have a regional based report. There are 5 regions, 3 in one Island, 2 in another. Each region has a manager. All the managers are allowed to see the detail for the other regions in their Island.

What I want to do is have the reports default to the managers region when they login with the other regions an option in the slicer. I have the RLS working fine. The endpoint I want is:

Island 1

- when manager 1 logs in the reports will be filtered to Region 1 but have region 2 and 3 as options,

- when manager 2 logs in the reports will be filtered to Region 2 but have region 1 and 3 as options

- when manager 3 logs in the reports will be filtered to Region 3 but have region 1 and 2 as options

Island 2

- when manager 4 logs in the reports will be filtered to Region 4 but have region 5 as an options

- when manager 5 logs in the reports will be filtered to Region 5 but have region 4 as an options

Is there any way to achieve this?

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@pmhoang94, the RLS is working fine the problem I have is a presentational one. The aim is that the filter is set to one of up to 3 options based on login.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you get the solution?

RandomJoe
Frequent Visitor

I would love to be able to do this too. I want to select the manager's department when they first open the dashboard.

@RandomJoe  Hi Its now a doable thing using either bookmarks or filters that save as they were during the last login by user. 

Can you expand on this? We have about 400 managers, so does that mean I need to create 400 bookmarks?

pmhoang94
Helper I
Helper I

@pmhoang94, the RLS is working fine the problem I have is a presentational one. The aim is that the filter is set to one of up to 3 options based on login.

Hi @samdthompson,

I think dynamic RLS will be suitable for your requirement, you can take a look at below article:

Power BI – Dynamic Row Level Security – Tips to get it working!

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft, The RLS is working. This is a presentational issue. When the manager of region one logins I want the region slicer to default to:

Capture.JPG

with all the other regions available for them to click if they wish.

If the manager of region 2 login they will see:

Capture.JPG

As far as i know this is not an RLS thing. This is a defult slicer setting based on login.

Thanks,

Sam

@samdthompson were you able to get the solution for this thread ? if yes, could you me help with the solution?

Its not possible based on the expert opinions I have had (4 MVPS's who all had access to the entire file). The work around i have used in the end is to use the persistent filter capability in PBI service. I had only a limited number of users so was able to set up the filter criteria then the next time they logged in it was all the same. Its not quite perfect as they could so easilsy reset the default but its better than nothing.

Cheers,

Sam

Hi @samdthompson , I am just wondering if you have new updates on this one? I am having the same challenge where user can see own data + data of the people reporting to him/her however, upon log in the default view shows no selected filters and the visuals are either blank or zero. I was hoping that upon log in, the user automatically sees own data and filters are also automatically selected. 

Hi @samdthompson,

Current slicer not support setting default value. In addition, power bi service not support analyze the location, I think you can send these requirement to ideas.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors