Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter flowing through to Dashboard Tiles

Hello, have seen a few posts similarto this...  But I cant find a difinitive answer...

I have a Report that filters performance by Month and Year (using slicers on the report page).  It was built last month, and the Dashboard was built with the Decemebr results on the Dashboard tiles (using the slicers on report).  BUT, even though the report is edited to show 2019 - January results, the Dashboard Tiles seemlocked to December.  How can I edit the Dashboard tiles without deleting and readding them eah month?

Thanks!!

10 REPLIES 10
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi pchapple ,

So your issue is when the report is updated you still can't see values in dashboard tile be changed, right? Have you refreshed the dashboard? Does the values still not change after you refresh the dashboard? Or you can't see tile dashboard refreshed after everytime the dataset is changed? Based my research, the dashboard will be refreshed within 15min after the report changes, please refer to this documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data. If this issue persists, please clarify more details about your issue.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct.  On the web report, I use 'Edit Report' to change the default filter settings (For example, I choose January slicer, and 2019 Slicer).  However, once saved, those settings do not flow into the Dashboard tiles, and show the Dashboard tiles as if they had just been published by PBIX.

I checked the link that was suggested, but I dont think the issue is refreshes, as the data is correctly refreshing for the Report.  It seems that the Dashboard tiles do not want to refresh what the web report shows.

Thanks.

I still think refreshing is the answer. You refreshed the report, but you did not refresh the tiles on the Dashboard. After you update the report go to the Dashboard and on the top right there are the three dots (...) click on them and select "Refresh dashboard tiles". Now the Dashboard should be updated, but it still won't be updated in the app yet. You first have to click "Update App" back on the previous page and follow those steps.

@Anonymous,

Have you pinned live page or single visual to the dashboard? If you pinned single visual, for example, if you pinned silcer and visual to different tiles, the slicer will not filter other tiles, if you pin to live page, the dashboard will work as the report, so I would suggest you pin live page instead of single visual.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thank you.

Although I understand your reply, I dont think thats optimal as it doesnt allow for app based viewing...

For example, now that our January is complete (all events within january are over) I want to show the February events and results.  I hgave changed the slcicer in the report, saved it, and now upon any changes, resetting to default always goes back to February only, however when i open the App or the besbased Dasboard with tiles, it shows January.  Its almost as if the tiles are hard coded with meta data that represents the state that the tile was added to the dashboard, and not the realtive state of the defaulr report visual... why is that?

If this remains, it means I have to continually remove and add the same times every month...  which is somewhat redundant for an automated dashboard...

HELP!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm facing the exact same issue, were you able to find an alternative solution that does not involve un-pin and re-pin the tiles every month?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly no. I found a messy and manual work around by linking my data tables to a single 2 colomn, one line grid with active month and active year. It will require me to change the month and yuear manually, but I have filtered the report to only show the month and year from the manual grid...  so at least I dont have to reubild it every time...  very messy and very disaponting that this cant be overcome automatically.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous , @Anonymous ,

I don't know whether you're still facing this issue, but hopefully this can help somebody.

It makes complete sense that rebuilding the dashboard feels wrong. However, doesn't it also feel wrong that you are rebuilding the report monthly?

First step: Load a single data point into your model: Last Completed Month. Somehow, you're getting the information that it's time to update the report.

1. If that is based on a data source, it could be added to your model with no manual effort.

2. Otherwise, you could create a simple Excel file with the necessary information and update that file monthly.

Second step: Use "Last Completed Month" to add attribute(s) to your date dimension. Some candidates:

Is Final Month With Complete Data - True/False that identifies the month you're looking for.

Month Has Complete Data - True/False that identifies all completed months.

Third step: Filter based on your new "Is Final Month" in the date dimension, instead of hard-coding a month in your report. 

The same logic can be applied to years, quarters, months, weeks, days. For example, you can replace filters that limit to 2019 with "Current Year"

Cheers!

Nathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not rebuilding the report.  The report have several years of data, and I only want the tiles to show data that is relavent to the period that is in play.  Although your suggestion of Is Last Month may work for daily sales, I run events over multiple venues around the globe, many of which span the month end, so I need to be dynamic with my filters...

I replied to a previous comment, but I have had to adopt a manual table which i enter the month/year that i want the tiles to display, its sad that the system isnt intelligent enough to be able to do this for me...

But it is as it is... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to automate your report, you need to ask the following question: How do I know which month is current? If the answer can be derived from a dataset (which is probable) then your system can be completely automated. Otherwise, you can create the necessary data. If the current month is dependent on other slicers (different regions having different current months, etc) you can handle this with DAX. But if there's one "global" current month, it can be stored in the Date table as I described.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors