Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter by Top N

Hello, I am new to Power BI, so I have a newbie question.  I have what is essentially a BI text report, with text headings and corresponding text data arranged in rows on the report.  The report is based on a SharePoint list.  I would like to filter the report so it only shows the top record (just one list item on the SharePoint list).  For example, in the table below, I would like the report to show Unique ID = 1, Letter = A, and Color = Red.  When I filter by column Unique ID, for example, with N = 1 top, of course only that one piece of data (Unique ID = "1") is shown.  However, depending on how the Letter or Color columns are sorted, the report might show Unique ID = 1, Letter = B, and Color = Green.  How can I filter the report so it only alwasys shows the top row and pulls all of the data in that single row?  Thanks!  

Unique IDLetterColor
1ARed
2BBlue
3CGreen
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

You could create a measure  to filter the lastest data.And you could create a visualization,then use the slicer.

v-luwang-msft_0-1616142270578.png

Wish it is helpful for you!

Best Regards

Lucien 

View solution in original post

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

You could create a measure  to filter the lastest data.And you could create a visualization,then use the slicer.

v-luwang-msft_0-1616142270578.png

Wish it is helpful for you!

Best Regards

Lucien 

NimaiAhluwalia
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @Anonymous 

If you want to just show the latest data that you have pulled from the list you can try creating a measure if you have a date column by filtering it as max and apply it on the visual!

You can also have a look at this if you have a similar problem

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Show-only-data-from-the-latest-date/td-p/442889

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU IN SOME OR THE OTHER WAY PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

If I am understanding your question, you want to go to a SharePoint List and then pull back only the first row of the list, is that correct?  If so, you can pull back the list from SharePoint and then use the "created date" or other item in that list that shows the most recent or the "top" one.  You can use that in the filter in the visual or in PowerQuery.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @collinq,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, that is what I'm trying to do.  I have a Power Automate flow that takes a new SharePoint item when it is created, then refreshes the BI report with that item.  However, each time the flow refreshes the report, more SharePoint items are added to the report, when I only want the report to show one at a time. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors