Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL in an APP

I am trying to set up a URL in a button that would take a user to a pre filtered report in an APP.  I have read and seen the videos online related to passing through filters on URLs but I have not been able to get it to work.  Does anyone have additional examples on this process to a report one an APP? 

My example is to a filtered report on an APP.  The detail below from the Microsoft documentation Reports on APP and mentions the addition of "ctid=ctid". Does this get typed directly into the URL?

Reports in apps

If you want to add a URL filter to a report in an app, the formatting is a little different. Links to reports in an app have a query parameter (ctid) that gets added to the URL. Separate the query parameters with an ampersand (&). Keep “?filter=” and move the ctid parameter to the end of the URL, preceded by an ampersand (&).

Thanks

G

3 REPLIES 3
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

I just did it this week following the approach outlined here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-url-filters

I just started with the URL for my report in the App. Then added the filter part, for example (I'm using a VanArsdel MSFT example here.):

?filter=Geography~2FCountry%20eq%20%27Germany%27

This translates to the example mentioned on the site: URL?filter=Table/Field eq 'value'

I actually didn't see this mention of ctid until now. Glad I just tried it my way. This worked fine Smiley Happy

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nick,

I am still able to get this to work and I strong feeling it is in the formatting of the URL.  I have two URL below and any help in trouble shooting would be helpful.  First below is in the format indicated in the MS documentation and 2nd is how the brower adjusts the URL after it is copied in:

1. app.powerbi.com/groups/me/apps/efcebd2b-4297-4ed1-b999-e4763df8333e/reports/1142e4b4-e25a-4ad2-bd0a-.../ENTITY.LEVEL 03 EQ ‘Commercial Interiors’
  2. app.powerbi.com/groups/me/apps/efcebd2b-4297-4ed1-b999-e4763df8333e/reports/1142e4b4-e25a-4ad2-bd0a-00a3c31b824e/ReportSection8bf3828b621c47f1c922?filter=FIN_CONS~2FENTITY.LEVEL%2003%20EQ%20%E2%80%98Commercial%20Interiors%E2%80%99

Thanks

G

That URL looks good to me.

To be clear: 

• Your table is called [FIN_CONS]
  • Your field is called [ENTITY.LEVEL 03]
  • An exact value for that field is [Commercial Interiors]

What is the message you're receiving? Is the URL invalid? Can you verify the base url (so before the ?filter part) is working?

Or is the report opening but the filter not working?

Can you show us your table and maybe some data?

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors