Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mceldon
Regular Visitor

Filter Dataset by Latest Record for Real Time Dashboard

Hi,

The ability to display a KPI or Scorecard based on the latest values available is essential for real time reporting - consider a real time data snaphot sent as a row to a datatable using the REST API.

I cannot find a suitable visualisation to solve for this as the usual aggregation functions (SUM, COUNT, AVG) do not fit htis use case. What I need is an option for latest or most recent row entered into the table, or ability to filterby most recent timestamp.

I can truncate the dataset and resend but this leads to a rather ugly UX where the numbers dispaear for a second before being re-populated. Any suggestion for this ? Create my own visualisation perhaps ?

Thanks,

M

8 REPLIES 8
SwedeJones
Frequent Visitor

I too am look for this for the same reason. I want the dashboard to only show my latest data and esentially omit all the older data.

Also, in another instance I would like to have the four latest data entires at all times.

Any luck anyone?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

MAX?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Not sure whether this is an answer.. ?

It's not. MAX would only provide the largest value ever given for that field.

For instance;

loggedInUsers: 5

availableUsers: 4

TimeStamp: 10:15:10

loggedInUsers:5

availableUsers:3

TimeStamp: 10:15:15

This would result in a view that loggedInUsers are always 5 and availableUsers are always 4 despite the latest value having 3 until it is pushed above.

The weirdest thing is that you don't even have a simple Sort mechanism in this...

Something equivalent to "Select top 1 * from [Data] Order By TimeStamp DESC" would be nice.

edit: closest I can get is a graph that shows a timeline of the values, but I just want the latest/top value... still hunting for that elusive top/limit/first limiter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How about a mesaure something like:

Last LoggedInUsers =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( Table1[LoggedInUsers] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( Table1 ), Table1[TimeStamp] = MAX ( Table1[TimeStamp] ) )
)

I struggled with this for an hour or two and finally just created a VIEW. WAY easier than any of the solutions I saw in PowerBI.

CREATE VIEW Summary AS
SELECT *
FROM TABLE1
WHERE Date IN (SELECT MAX(Date) FROM TABLE1)

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, i cant create views in real time data sets.. how you do this?

Have you ever found a solution to this? I also want to display the last values instead of all of them to create some kind of a real time dashboard without having to delete the values and insert the last batch (which, like you, causes the visuals to all go to 0 and then back to the latest entry submitted)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors