Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Eric
Advocate I
Advocate I

File{"path":"\\\\server\\shared-resource\\folder\\file"} - Duplicate "\"

Power BI Service is duplicating the "\" in the UNC path for all of the data sources in one of my Power BI report. 

It refreshes fine in PBI Desktop but when I publish to Service I can't connect the dataset to our Enterprise Gateway and schedule it to refresh becasue of the file path errors.  Here's the format of the data source link that PBI Service is looking for:

File{"path":"\\\\server\\shared-resource\\folder\\file"}

The data source settings all look fine in the pbix desktop file.  Has anyone seen anything like this or have any idea how to fix it?  All the other datasets in the workspace refresh fine.

7 REPLIES 7
pcgeekus
Helper I
Helper I

It's called an Escape Sequence and the "\\\\" actually is \\ under the covers. Look elsewhere for your refresh issue.

Also, if you are trying to combine all of the data from the 31 files and they are nearly identical in data columns, you can use a Folder Connector in Desktop and read them all in at once. Then you only need one folder Data Source on the Gateway to the folder.

Hopefully that's what you did and you didn't create 31 Data Sources on the Gateway, one for each file.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-combine-binaries

Jon

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, that should work.

Have you tried to modify the source path and remove the "\" once it has been uploaded to the Power BI Service and see if that works?
You could possibly create a parameter for your source, so that you can change it in the Power BI Service once it has been uploaded.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the parameters idea, I tried it on several of the data sources in the report but the result is still the same in the service.  

That is really unusual as I would expect it to work.

What if you had to create a mapped drive on your Gateway Server, which could then use the UNC path?

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the idea Gilbert but we tried that too and it didn't work either.

We have 31 data files in that directory and the only way we can connect the dataset to the gateway is if we add each individual file as a data source.  We cannot simply reference the Folder, it won't work.  Very strange since it works in other datasets but it will not work in this one and the other datasets share many of the same queries.

Hi there

Are all the files in one folder?

If so, what if you had to use the Folder Option instead of the 31 individual files?

Power BI Blog

Gilbert, thanks for the reply.  I have not tried the parameter idea, I will explore it, thanks for the tip.

On your first thought, I'm not sure how to moidfy the source path once the file has been uploaded to the Service, can you tell me how to do that?  The report is pointing to the embedded dataset, which is where the data source errors must be.  I can't find away to modify the data source path within the uploaded dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors