Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AdrienneB
Frequent Visitor

Fields hidden in the dataset are visible through PBI Services interface

My team creates and maintains datasets for report developers and business users within our finance team. A user of ours just noticed that the folders/fields hidden from reporting in PBI desktop and in Analyze in Excel are visible when creating a report online using PBI Services. 

To recreate the issue:

1. Hide a field in the published dataset.
  2. Open a new PBI desktop report, make a live connection to the dataset, the field is hidden. It is visible in the model tab, shows as hidden and cannot be pulled into the report.
  3. Navigate to the dataset in PBI Services, select Create from Scratch. The same field is visible and available to be pulled into a report. 

Is this a new feature or bug? Has this been always been the case? 

7 REPLIES 7
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AdrienneB ,

This is a new known issue (ICM:264013598) and the PG team is working hard to fix this issue. 
Sorry we don't have workaround at the moment, The ETA_for_Fix is10/5/2021.
If there are any updates, I will give you feedback here in a timely manner.

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mukti_verma
Regular Visitor

Having the same issue, Power BI service started displaying hidden fields. Is this related to recent updates?

Thanks for confirming that it is not just me and our setup. I am fairly sure that this is a new "feature". 

I'm also experiencing this. 

Very frustrating - as it was working as expected a few days ago.   Hidden tables & fields are now visible to the user within the PBI service when accessing the dataset.   

There are some issue raised for it (please upvote)

- https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Hidden-fields-and-tables-are-visible-in-PBI-workspace-but-th...

- https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Hidden-Tables-Showing-in-App-Workspace-When-Set-to-Hidden-in...

- https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/PBI-embedded-is-showing-hidden-tables/idi-p/2106405

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @AdrienneB 

When fields are hidden it means that it is just marked as to not show when in a particular dataset. It is always there.

That is why when using Excel or connecting to the dataset all hidden fields can be shown by unhiding them. This is by design.

The only way to not show them is to remove them from the dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ , the expectation I had and pretty sure in the past it was like that, that the hidden fields' names are visible in the model but they are not available for reporting. As of today, a hidden field can be used for reporting using the PBI Services report writer. Please test it out: hide a field in the dataset then start a new report in PBI Services using that dataset and you will see that the hidden field is not hidden at all. This seem to be a new thing, I am fairly sure that in the past hidden fields were hidden in desktop and services. 

Definitely a new issue.  I've been managing the same large dataset for 2 years now and just now are hidden fields showing to Users.  It looks terrible.

Imagine having a Dimension table with "SKU" and 10 Fact tables with the matching "SKU".  Now, when you search for the field "SKU", instead of just the Dimension table showing it, ALL 11 Tables pop up.  Terrible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors