Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Doronhn
Regular Visitor

Few questions before purchasing a license

Hey,

thanks in advance.

1. What are the differences between Premium bi and Embedded power BI? Does one complete the other? Contains each other?
2. if we purchasing a Premium and/or Embedded license? Does it mean we can access the server at any given moment, can control the information that gets there? Or it's on a dedicated server for us, but we don't have control over it. - I'd love to be able to elaborate on that.
3. Is the server associated with us under the license (premium or embedded) restricted to a physical space?
4. The option that interests us most is the option to do publish to the web and embed the iframe in our systems. Does this option require a certain license?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there please find my answers below.

1. Power BI Premium has a superset features such as free users and dedicated capacity which you purchase monthly. Power BI Embedded is when you are going to embed Power BI into an SaaS application.
2. You get dedicated capacity that you can use, but you never get actual access to the capacity. You just use the capacity that is dedicated to you and no one else can use that capacity (which consists of CPU, Memory and Storage)
3. You get dedicated capacity via the web interface which does have physical underling hardware.
4. When using Publish to Web this is free to use and actually runs on separate hardware. Just make sure that the reports going via publish to web are for anyone to consume. Anyone with the link (Which can be sometimes found in an iFrame) allows anyone to view the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi @Doronhn ,

These two articles detail the difference between "publish to web" and "embed"

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there please find my answers below.

1. Power BI Premium has a superset features such as free users and dedicated capacity which you purchase monthly. Power BI Embedded is when you are going to embed Power BI into an SaaS application.
2. You get dedicated capacity that you can use, but you never get actual access to the capacity. You just use the capacity that is dedicated to you and no one else can use that capacity (which consists of CPU, Memory and Storage)
3. You get dedicated capacity via the web interface which does have physical underling hardware.
4. When using Publish to Web this is free to use and actually runs on separate hardware. Just make sure that the reports going via publish to web are for anyone to consume. Anyone with the link (Which can be sometimes found in an iFrame) allows anyone to view the data.

Power BI Blog

about #2 -

where is the capacity located? its on dedicated server only for us or for additional clients?

is other power bi client hosted on the same server as i am?

about #4 -

if i can publish to web free of charge, why do i need to buy embedded license?

Can you elaborate on the differences?

Hi @Doronhn ,

These two articles detail the difference between "publish to web" and "embed"

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

#2 The dedicated capacity is hosted in the same data center as your tenant. And the underlying hardware are for all users that use the premium capacity assigned to the App Workspace

#4 Publish to Web is where anyone with the link can view the information in the report. Whilst embedding is where it is embedded into a custom application and is secured by logged in users.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors