Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eddydm
Advocate II
Advocate II

FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError

Hi,

I'm working at a desktop pbix-file, refreshed the data and want to publish it to my workspace (as usual)

Today i'm getting for the first time an error while attempting to publish. Publishing failed for an unknown reason. (FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError)

The filesize isn't the problem because I'v got no problem with even a larger file.

Anyone an idea how to solve this?

Kind regards

Eddy

7 REPLIES 7
eddydm
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'v done the day after publishing this problem a delete of my dashboard, update the report and recreate the dashboard. For me it was a solution that didn't take much time because the only tile on the dashboard was a box which guided me to the full report.

So for an easy dashboard we got a workaround, but not a solution.

Kind regards

Eddy

I am getting this error for the first time today when trying to re-publish a dataset that I have to re-publish every day (the queries don't work with auto-refresh so I have to manually refresh every morning and re-publish).

I was able to work around the issue this morning by renaming the dataset, publishish the newly-named dataset, and replacing the pinned live tiles on my dashboards, however that is a slow work around so I'm hoping there is a better solution if I encounter this again.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @eddydm,

What changes do you make in this PBIX file before you publish it to Service? Does your report exist in Power BI Service before and  you want to replace it? If that is the case, could you please rename  your PBIX file and check if you can successfully publish it?

Also we will appreciate it if you can provide me the sample PBIX file, I will test it in my Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft, thanks for your reply.

This morning I tried again ... and same problem.

I didn't change anything in the report, only update the data inside (from a sql source).

The report exist already some months on the power bi service (and i had updated and published it already many times).

After renaming the dataset and the report, i could publish the report again.

Problem was that some items in the report were pinned to different dashboards. I had to re-pin it.

Not a nice solution, but at this moment problem seems to be solved.

I'll try to update and publish again in the next days.

Keep you informed!

Eddy

Hi @eddydm,

I have ever got the same issue in the following scenario: I apply Row Level Security(RLS) on my dataset, and publish the PBIX file to Service, and pin visuals to a dashboard. Then if I republish the PBIX file to Service, the error occurs. However, once I delete the visuals from dashboard, I can successfully republish the PBIX file. If you get the above error message in other PBIX files, please check if you encounter the same scenario as mine.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

For the last 2-3 days I've been failing to publish data to my workspace, getting this FailedToRefreshPackageAfterImportError.  My PBIX file is saved on a network share but had been working fine for me before the error.  Between my last successful publish and my first failure, I think all I did was refresh my source data.  What can I do to debug the problem?

Thanks,

Sue

Update: I've worked around my issue by un-pinning all visuals from my dashboard.  Then I was able to publish the data and re-pin the visuals.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors