Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Failed to update data source credentials

I come in this morning and for some reason every dashboard I have that has Salesforce as a data source is unable to refresh online. I get this error:

1.PNG 

I'm able to login to Salesforce itself, can refresh manually from Power BI Desktop, but my scheduled refreshes are having an issue on my workspaces. Has anyone else experienced this before? This has been working properly everyday for months until today. I have not changed or updated any credentials recently from Salesforce.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @LeanneShapro,

This could be 2 different things:

1. Microsoft recently acknolwdged it's been having issues with Salesforce refreshing. They're currently looking into the problem. This is just a refreshing error though, so it might not be the cause here.

2. I did end up fixing the issue in my case by creating a new password from Salesforce. For some reason, I had 3-4 days before my password expired from Salesforce, but PBI was already telling me my credentials were invalid. This was only happening from the service, I could refresh fine from the desktop file. So on the day when my password officially expired and I had to create a new one, the report started working again from the service and I was able to successfully login.

Even more strange, I've had to reset my password before from Salesforce since we have to every 3 months. This was the only time I've ever had the issue.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
LeanneShapro
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have a Microsoft Support Case open currently and mentioned the Salesforce related issues I'm having. He said the following, "

There is currently a known issue about attempting to refresh Salesforce reports. It’s also having some side effects of being able to update the credentials."

He also sent a link for their support page which says, "Users of Salesforce reports may experience issues with refreshing reports. Engineers are working to deploy a fix. We are expecting the deployment to complete by end-of-week. Next update @ 8/29/18 at 10:00 PDT"

@Anonymous

@joansinho

@v-frfei-msft

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @LeanneShapro for that! I have 3 dashboards using Salesforce that aren't updating from the service so I have to do it from the desktop then publish to the service. It's really inconvenient Smiley Sad I do so much digging into my own data only to find out the issue isn't anything that I've done. I rely on daily refreshes so it's all frustrating. I've been manually refreshing all 3 dashboards twice a day and publishing each of them to 2 different workspaces. Microsoft was having this exact issue just earlier this month.

@Anonymous Oh wow! That's quite inconvenient! I've got my fingers crossed for us all!

Hi @LeanneShapro @Anonymous,

Thank you for the update. I am having the same issue as @Anonymous. I have to update all my dashboards on my desktop and then deploy them to the cloud. Now, I  am having a table that it's not updating anymore. Hopefully, the update actually happens by the end of the week. Good luck to us!

Hi @LeanneShapro @Anonymous,

PowerBI started to work for me today. Hopefully, It starts working for you two. Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@joansinho no luck for me yet. An old SF dashboard I forgot to turn the schedule off for sent me an email this morning telling me the refresh failed. Not going to bother turning the schedule back on yet for the others Smiley Frustrated

@Anonymous 

Well, it started to work for me in the sense that it finally took my credentials, and I do not get the message " Failed to update data source credential." I have not checked if they actually refresh. Maybe I will get hundreds of notifications today that my data could not be refreshed :/. Maybe it is too good to be true   

Anonymous
Not applicable

@joansinho nice! Yeah they're unfortunately still displaying this message on their support page:

1.PNG

@Anonymous & @joansinho

Unfortunately, I'm still having issues logging in. @Anonymous, thanks for sharing the support page information! I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed for us all!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LeanneShapro @joansinho Has anybody had any luck yet? I no longer see a message on their support page in regards to Salesforce not working but I still can't setup a refresh schedule beacuse it's not accepting my credentials which aren't wrong. This is really out of hand Smiley Sad

Hello @Anonymous 

I hope the issue with the credentials was resolved. As of now, I have been able to update my data without any problem on the cloud. The only issue I have now is with Salesforce Object. If the object has more than 2000 rows, it won't update on the desktop. If You have this issue, a way around is to install PowerBI desktop July 2018 version.

I hope everything works fine for you tho!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @joansinho,

I've unfortunately had no luck yet. I just had my PBI desktop updated literally 10 minutes ago and I attempted to publish again and setup the schedule, still nothing Smiley Frustrated I'm in the middle of working with the support team on it but they are not very responsive.

Hi @Anonymous,

I am sorry to hear that. I know how frustrating it is not to be able to refresh your data automatically. Does PowerBI take your credentials? 

Things I tried:

Cleared my browser

Changed password in Salesforce

Deleted PowerBI Desktop and Get The Newest

Updated new credentials in PowerBI desktop and the cloud.

Hopefully, any of that can help you-- if you have not tried yet.

@Anonymous and @joansinho

I was in luck today. I was able to successfully update my credentials and schedule the refresh for the data set I was having issues with. I recommend starting a support case with Microsoft to further trouble shoot! 

LeanneShapro
Advocate I
Advocate I

@Anonymous I am experiencing the same issue and can't seem to find any documentation online. I have an error message that says "Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again." When I click Edit Credentials, I login with my SFDC credentials, and then it spins for a minute. Then I get the timeout error like you've pictured below.

PowerBIStatusCode400.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @LeanneShapro,

This could be 2 different things:

1. Microsoft recently acknolwdged it's been having issues with Salesforce refreshing. They're currently looking into the problem. This is just a refreshing error though, so it might not be the cause here.

2. I did end up fixing the issue in my case by creating a new password from Salesforce. For some reason, I had 3-4 days before my password expired from Salesforce, but PBI was already telling me my credentials were invalid. This was only happening from the service, I could refresh fine from the desktop file. So on the day when my password officially expired and I had to create a new one, the report started working again from the service and I was able to successfully login.

Even more strange, I've had to reset my password before from Salesforce since we have to every 3 months. This was the only time I've ever had the issue.

I hope this helps!

Hi @Anonymous, 

I appreciate your response. I reset my Salesforce Password this morning and it didn't seem to resolve the issue. I'll do more research and see if it could be related to Salesforce refreshing. 

If I find a solution, I'll be sure to share it here! 

My best, 

Leanne

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LeanneShapro no problem! This is the message from their support page:

1.PNG

I'm not sure if this issue would extend to credentials not validating as well, but it may. I have one dashboard currently not updating because of this. When I was having credentials issues, I did create a support ticket and they were very prompt with help until the issue was resolved. Might be worth a shot.

Thanks,

Marc

Thanks, @Anonymous! I appreciate the help!

Hi @LeanneShapro!

I am wondering if you were able to fix the issue you were having?

@Anonymous Thank you for all your updates. They were very helpful. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors