Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SharePointAU
Frequent Visitor

Failed to update data source credentials, using Windows Auth for on-premise SharePoint List

I have a Power Bi desktop file using a dataset from SharePoint on-premise. It is published in a Teams workspace and i'm trying to schedule refresh, but it keep throwing an error "Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again." 

Capture.PNG

Then upon "editing credentials" we are met with another failure. 

Capture1.PNG

Any suggestions on how to fix this? or Is there a better way to do what I'm doing?

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @SharePointAU,

By my test, you could select the third Authentication method——OAuth2 to have a try.

Untitled.png

Best regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply.

When I edit credientials I'm only given "Anonymous" and "Windows" as options, and for me they both fail.

Hi @SharePointAU,

For your scenario, it seems that you could get data from on-premise Sharepoint list successfully.

What crediential do you choose when you get data from on-premise SharePoint list in Power BI Desktop?

Normally, we always choose Windows Authentication when the data source is on-premise SharePoint list, so if you choose windows authentication in Power BI Desktop, you should also choose Windows Authentication in Power BI Service.

For the error you have encounterd, does the on-premise Gateway run on the same server which hosts the SharePoint?  Please check it.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I'm able to get the data successfully. However, after I publish it I need to schedule a refresh and that is what is not allowed for me. I am using Windows Authenitcation because the data source is on premise. I chose Winodws Authentication in Power Bi Desktop (works) and on Power Bi Service after publish (doesn't work).

Yes the Gateway is on the CA server. Should I also install it on the WFEs (which are load balanced), and if so can I cluster them, or with they be separate Gateways?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors