Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Murhadiyanto
Frequent Visitor

Failed to update data source credentials for postgreSQL server in PowerBI Service

The full error message is :Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'.

This happens in the PowerBI Service when i publish my report from PowerBI Desktop.
My Dataset was from Postgresql , in placed in alibaba cloud.

The connection works fine in PowerBI Desktop, I can connect the dataset without problems.

Is there any way to solve this issue?

Screenshot (4).png

13 REPLIES 13
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Murhadiyanto ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, I'am Trying to Whitelist PowerBI service IP Address list into my alibaba cloud.

The datasource credentials already working .

But when i open mw dashboard , it's say like this

'Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details. 

Regards,

@v-lid-msft 

This is a screen shoot for the issue.

Screenshot (8).png

@v-lid-msft 

Hello , any solution for me?

Regards,

Murhadiyanto

Hi @Murhadiyanto ,

Does the dataset use DirectQuery Mode to connect the PostgreSQL? Have you configured SSL encryption for your PostgreSQL instance? If SSL encription is not configured properly in your data source, you can go to File->Options and Settings -> Data Source Settings in Power BI Desktop, select your PostgreSQL source and unclick "Encrypt connections", then published it to the service. Please test it with a copy of this report.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi , @v-lid-msft 

Yes the Dataset use direct query to Postgresql , But I doesn't configure the SSL.

I'm already trying your solution but it's still got the error in my powerbi service

Screenshot (14).png

Regards,

Murhadiyanto

Hello @v-lid-msft ,

Any Solution?

Regards,

Murhadiyanto

Hi @Murhadiyanto ,

Sorry for late reply, we have reproduced this same issue. Based on this Document , It is required to install a On-Premises Data Gateway in a machine can access the PostgreSQL . And we need install client software for this provider in the machine contain the gateway. Please visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'Npgsql version 2.0.12': https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=282716

You can get more information about connecting PostgreSQL using gateway from these thereads: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Not-able-to-connect-Postgres-SQL-database-from-Power-BI/m-p...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Configure-Gateway-to-connect-to-PostgreSQL/td-p/478150

9.jpg

Best regards,

@v-lid-msft 

Hi,

I am facing same issue there. I disable Encrypts Connection in PBI Desktop then publish to Power BI Cloud.

Connection on PBI Desktop is ok but PBI Cloud. It seems PBI Cloud is enabling Encrypts Connection option. Is there any way/option that I can disable Encrypts Connection on PBI Cloud?

Thanks,

Hi @quangdatnth , @Murhadiyanto ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Hi @v-lid-msft ,

Sorry for my late reply.

I used aws rds postgresql then Power BI Cloud do not accept to enable Data Gateway:

2019-12-31 19_54_37-Power BI.png

I able to connect powerbi desktop  to aws postgresql. But when I publish to Power BI Cloud. It thrown error.

2019-12-31 19_51_38-TestPostgreSQL - Power BI.png

Any idea?

Appreciate your support.

Hi @quangdatnth ,

Have you tried to Configured an on-premises data gateway to connect the postgreSQL in Power BI Service? Here is a document about the requirement of gateway for each kind of data source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-data-sources. Please refer to this document about the On-Premises Data Gateway. 

Best regards,

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Murhadiyanto ,

Have you tried to use a on-premises Data Gateway for this dataset? Based on this document, gateway is required for PostgreSQL.

16.PNG17.PNG

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors