Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Failed to update Data source credentials for Azure SQL database from Power BI Cloud Service

Hi,

I have created the power bi report with azure sql database as source using direct query then i publish it to cloud service no data is being displayed in report from powebi cloud service, getting error message as datasource credentails missing then i tried to add datasource credentials from dataset setting sfrom chdule refresh there i tried to add credentials to the data source using basic authentication method but when i click on sign in getting error as failed to update data source credentials or instance specific error while establishing connection to sql server.

I am able to connect to the data source with same credentials in power bi desktop but not working  from power bi cloud service.

Thanks,

Pankaj

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did this issue only appears on specific datasource or authorization mode? Have you try to test with other authorization modes? Can you please share more detail informations about these error messages?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This issue incurres for the azure sql managed instance only. I am not able to connect directly to the managed instsance from power bi service without using data gateway. 

I have to use data gateway but the problem persist here we dont want to use data gateway as we are connecting to  azure sql managed instance we don't want the round trip to on premise. 

Also, we wants to know in case if we have to use on premise power bi data gateway as last option how it works, does it make round trip to the on premise. Or is there other option to avoid data gateway

Thanks,

Pankaj

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any answer on this.

Thanks,

Pankaj

Any resolution to this issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors