Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nateharwood93
Frequent Visitor

Failed to open the MSOLAP connection. - PowerBI Embedded

Hi, for background we are using RLS in powerbi embedded environment. It was working well, but now we've started to see 'Cannot Load Model' along with the below error details:

Underlying Error: PowerBI service client received error HTTP response. HttpStatus: 503. PowerBIErrorCode: OpenConnectionError
OpenConnectionError: Failed to open the MSOLAP connection.
Correlation ID: 251a05ca-49c2-b078-0070-ca15d1207bba
Activity ID: 46818ebb-3748-453b-9042-d0aed7de2a4a
Request ID: c1b4567f-6a50-4b7d-a59d-cb48a66b67f1
Time: Fri Apr 16 2021 11:21:57 GMT+0100 (British Summer Time)
Service version: 13.0.15854.62
Client version: 2104.1.05665-train
Cluster URI: https://WABI-UK-SOUTH-B-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 46818ebb-3748-453b-9042-d0aed7de2a4a
Request ID: c1b4567f-6a50-4b7d-a59d-cb48a66b67f1
Time: Fri Apr 16 2021 11:21:57 GMT+0100 (British Summer Time)
Service version: 13.0.15854.62
Client version: 2104.1.05665-train
Cluster URI: https://WABI-UK-SOUTH-B-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net

The Gateway is working and data refresh is performing as expected. I can view the report fine in the powerbi service. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nateharwood93
Frequent Visitor

Hi, the issue was related to RLS. There was a rogue space in the code, specifically where we defined the Role. Hopefully this is helpful to someone in the future.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
nateharwood93
Frequent Visitor

Hi, the issue was related to RLS. There was a rogue space in the code, specifically where we defined the Role. Hopefully this is helpful to someone in the future.

Hi Can you please elaborate a little bit about this rouge space issue, since I am having the same 

Failed to open the MSOLAP connection. - PowerBI Embedded 

Issue

hi All thought I would contribute here. I had the same issue and it turned out to be linked to RLS and composite model. Effectively I belive I tried to use direct query on some tables to be used for RLS. To resolve the issue I removed the tables from my model, even though they were now in import mode and reimported them. This resolved the issue!

nateharwood93
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @ibarrau, I really appreciate the response. The permissions are unchanged though since it was last working so I think there is another factor at play

Hi @nateharwood93 ,

Please refer to the similar post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Can-not-open-reports-in-wokrspaces-using-Power-BI-Embedded/...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I don't know much about Embeding but I have software backgroud and I can tell you that 503 is "forbiden error". Check if the account or service principal used for embedding has the correct permission to handle the embedding. If this is a new development consider that the embed token can expire and it won't let you get in again, you need to retrive a renew or refresh token.

Hope that helps for something.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors