Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Failed Refresh

Hi all,

I am experiencing an issue with a dataset refresh.

On Power BI Desktop, I connected to my SQL server, created the first dataset, reports and published it to Power BI.

A gateway installed on the remote server ensures communications between POwer BI and the SQL server take place. Everything works fine and the dataset is refresh automatically, every day, as scheduled.

I created a second dataset, from the same SQL server, from the same SQL database, using the same login credentials. The only difference is that this new datase will also connect to xe.com to download the currency rates table. I added this webpage as a data source in the gateway settings, in Power BI service.

When I try and refresh this second dataset manually, it returns the error in the screen shot below. 

It is also asking me to install the personal gateway.

I cannot understand why given that the first dataset refresh works and the gateway is reported to be working.

Do I need to go back to the actuall Power BI Gateway application and change settings? Perhaps, the remote server ,where the gateway application is installed, does not allow communications to that web page. Whereas the SQL server is on the same network.

Could that be the reason? 

Snag_4b98a36.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Re: Failed Refresh

You should be able to combine on-premises and cloud data sources through the gateway. See this article for a detailed explanation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

You should be able to combine on-premises and cloud data sources through the gateway. See this article for a detailed explanation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

@Michiel that was the solution, thank you.

I had to install the gateway on my PC, in personal mode. Am I obliged to keep it running at all times now?

That is exactly what I am trying to keep away from.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

July 2020 Community Highlights

July 2020 Community Highlights

Learn about the exciting things that happened in July.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors