Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EVEAdmin
Helper V
Helper V

Failed Refresh

Hi all,

I am experiencing an issue with a dataset refresh.

On Power BI Desktop, I connected to my SQL server, created the first dataset, reports and published it to Power BI.

A gateway installed on the remote server ensures communications between POwer BI and the SQL server take place. Everything works fine and the dataset is refresh automatically, every day, as scheduled.

I created a second dataset, from the same SQL server, from the same SQL database, using the same login credentials. The only difference is that this new datase will also connect to xe.com to download the currency rates table. I added this webpage as a data source in the gateway settings, in Power BI service.

When I try and refresh this second dataset manually, it returns the error in the screen shot below. 

It is also asking me to install the personal gateway.

I cannot understand why given that the first dataset refresh works and the gateway is reported to be working.

Do I need to go back to the actuall Power BI Gateway application and change settings? Perhaps, the remote server ,where the gateway application is installed, does not allow communications to that web page. Whereas the SQL server is on the same network.

Could that be the reason? 

Snag_4b98a36.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Michiel
Resolver III
Resolver III

You should be able to combine on-premises and cloud data sources through the gateway. See this article for a detailed explanation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Michiel
Resolver III
Resolver III

You should be able to combine on-premises and cloud data sources through the gateway. See this article for a detailed explanation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud.

@Michiel that was the solution, thank you.

I had to install the gateway on my PC, in personal mode. Am I obliged to keep it running at all times now?

That is exactly what I am trying to keep away from.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors