Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PelleTheSwede
Frequent Visitor

Fail to use a dataset in the pbi service that uses a gateway to a on premise analytic service

Hi !
We have a on-prem Analysis Server (Tabular) with a gateway installed that cloude PBI reports consume.
It works fine to create new reports when on the PBI server.
Now i'm trying to use PBI Desktop to reache the SSAS model. I'm trying to connect my PBI desktop to a PBI datasets in the cloud and after a while it returns. -

"Details: Power BI service live connection is invalid...
 Details: We could not connect to the Analysis Services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect."  
I have upgraded the gateway and the desktop but no success.

Any suggestions? 

Best regards /Pelle

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PelleTheSwede 

What is the way you Get Data in Desktop? Power BI datasets or Analysis Service? What is the connection mode of your data?

vjianbolimsft_0-1662104957344.png

Besides, here are some documents that may help you:

Using DirectQuery for datasets and Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Jianbo Li!
I'm trying the Power BI DataSet and I have turned on the preview feature "DirectQuery for PBI dataset and AS" but no success.
It says in the documentation that "With DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services, you can use DirectQuery to connect to Power BI datasets, Azure Analysis Services (AAS), and SQL Server 2022 (CTP) Analysis Services" and of course we use SQL Server 2017. So I guess we have some job to do....

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors