Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

felipe_regis

Fail to refresh dashboards using onpremise data gateway to connect to Analysis Services

Hi everyone.

We are trying to refresh data on some power bi dashs using a on-premises data gateway.

It follows what we are trying to do (1), steps completed, issues and test results (2):

1. We would like to enable scheduled refresh on published dashboards on Power BI web using an onpremise data gateway. Data source is an onpremise server running Analysis Services.

2. We followed mostly the documentation "Install an on-premises data gateway " and "Manage your data source - Analysis Services" step by step.

2.1. We installed the standard data gateway on an on-premises server and configured the gateway using a service account with admin server priviledges as requested. After all, gateway status is ready.

2.2. Dashs on Desktop report is fine and correctly loaded. When we pusblish it look at the Power BI web, data can't be loaded and message to contact gateway admin is showed as below.

felipe_regis_2-1632324514826.png

2.3. Then we checked with our network team and double checked firewall rules to allow outbound connections and also to allow traffic between data gateway server and analysis services server source. Telnet test is OK on the gateway server.

2.4. We also followed the docs "Adjust communication settings for the on-premises data gateway" and ran port tests and the log results were all OK besides we got the following error mesage below: 

communication tests:

felipe_regis_3-1632324581279.png

Power BI web error provided when clicking on the message. It's in portugese but it says to contact support and provide the following details:

felipe_regis_1-1632326366488.png

2.5. When configuring gateway settings on manage gateways option in Power BI web, a tested credential (user/password) was used to create the data source connection and provide refresh details. Configuration completed and saved, gateway connected and ready but dashs still can't load data when refreshed. 

Does anybody can help with this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Felipe Regis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
felipe_regis

tnks, @ccollins!

We made it. There were a few configurations missing on the vm to access service user in AD. DNS server was wrong and as a consequence, gateway wasn't able to load and refresh data in power bi web. 

Regards,

Felipe Regis.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
felipe_regis

tnks, @ccollins!

We made it. There were a few configurations missing on the vm to access service user in AD. DNS server was wrong and as a consequence, gateway wasn't able to load and refresh data in power bi web. 

Regards,

Felipe Regis.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @felipe_regis 

It appears that you have done quite a bit of testing.  I am wondering if the Desktop and the Service are both using the same credentials TYPE (windows, basic, anonymous...)  and privacy setting (none, public, org...)?  I have seen where if this is not the same then it doesn't work.

collinq_0-1632342837177.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors