Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

FIXED: Error: "Failed to read GatewayCore property: EnableFastCombine"

I was trying to refresh a report in the service that uses the Adobe Analytics connector and a on-prem database using the gateway, but kept getting this error:

Underlying error message: [Unable to combine data] <removed> references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

I have "Ignore the privacy levels" checked in my report settings, so I thought this was pretty strange.

I was also seeing this error in the on-prem data gateway logs:

Failed to read GatewayCore property: EnableFastCombine, Ex: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I found page, talking about adding something to the config file in the personal gateway:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-personal-mode#using-fast-combine-with-the-...

Even though it says this fix is for personal gateway, I thought I'd try it--and it fixed the issue.

I added the following to "Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config":

<setting name="EnableFastCombine" serializeAs="String">
    <value>true</value>
</setting>

2018-06-22_09h51_20.png

And now my reports are refreshing.

3 REPLIES 3
jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

FYI this work-around is no longer working for me with the July 2019 version of the Gateway.

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

FYI, this change gets removed from "Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config" when a new verison of the gateway is installed and has to be reapplied.

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jeffshieldsdev,

Thanks for your sharing.

Regards,
Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors