Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JMZ

Extracting data from Power BI

Hi all,

I’m trying to extract data from a Power BI link, unfortunately there is no option for that. I don’t have the desktop app, it is just a link that opens up lots of data and graphs. Does anyone know if there is a way?

Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JMZ

In my scenario, a user belonging to my organization share a report with me, then I open this link with my Power BI Service Pro account, I can see the data and graph.

When I click on the three dots on the visual, I can see the option of "export data", by this, I can ectract data from Power BI.

Could you contact with the people sharing with you to make sure you given the right permission.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JMZ

Hi all,

I was sent a power BI link, I assume its a shared Power Bi. It doesn’t show the option of extracting data nor downloading it, does anyone know how to do that? Noting that I don’t have the desktop app.

Hi there

When you say you sent a Power BI link, did you share this from the Power BI Service via a Dashboard, report or App?

And when you say you want to extract the data, is this by clicking on the Ellipses?

It would appear to me that you have used the Publish to Web feature, which does not allow data extraction.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi,

Thank you got your response.
Yes, when I click the link, it opens via a browser window. Someone sent the link to me, not the other way around.
I’m not familiar with Ellipses, but any method is fine.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JMZ

Is this powerbi link sent to you from others and you can open it in a web browser?

Can you edit the data and graph?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi! Thank you for your response.

Yes, exactly. There are options to “Include, Exclude, Show data” when I click “exclude” the data gets removed from the graph and it changes in shape. Thats as far as editing goes.

Hi @JMZ

In my scenario, a user belonging to my organization share a report with me, then I open this link with my Power BI Service Pro account, I can see the data and graph.

When I click on the three dots on the visual, I can see the option of "export data", by this, I can ectract data from Power BI.

Could you contact with the people sharing with you to make sure you given the right permission.

Best Regards

Maggie

I’ll download Power BI desktop version and see what happens, I think it should work out fine then

Thank you very much for your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors