Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavBI
Frequent Visitor

Extract tables from different planned refresh datasets to create new Power BI report

Hello Community,

I don't know if it is possible, but here's what I am trying to do:

I have built many distinct Power BI reports so far and I wish to cherrypick tables from these reports to build a recapitulative report that would use all of the table manipulations (merges and conditionnal columns in Power Query, calculated columns, etc.), so I don't have to repeat all the previous manipulations and hence, save time.

Many of these tables are results of merges of data coming from various data sources (SQL Requests, Excel files, txt files, etc.).

I have found a link that shows how to extract and generate and Excel file for every table contained in Power BI Desktop Report, using DAX Studio: Exporting Data from Power BI Desktop to Excel and CSV – Part 1: Copy & Paste and DAX Studio Methods .... This is great stuff, as you can use all these files to create a new data model from specific selected tables.

The issue is, these Excel files are only a "snapshot" of the last refresh of the Pbix dataset, so the underlying data of these tables (which I set a regular refresh schedule for through a Power Automate Flow in Power BI Web Service), will not stay up-to-date over time, because it came from a punctual connection between Power BI Desktop and DAX Studio.

What I would need is way to get the latest data from these exctrated tables without manually downloading and manually extract these dozens of tables everyday, which is unefficient and I don't have time for.

Would there be any ways to dynamically extract these tables from the refreshed Power BI Service dataset, so the data is continually up-to-date?

Thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @DavBI 

One way you could create this is to store all the indiviual tables using Dataflows and then connect the different Power BI reports to the dataflows?

You could then cherry pick the ones for each dataset?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DavBI ,

I don't find a way to make DAX Studio automatically. Maybe you can try the following ways:

1. Use R or Python scripts to automatically export data.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Schedule-Automated-Data-Exports-from-Power-BI-using-... 

2. Use DirectQuery to connect multiple datasets.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s... 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, but the the R/Python solution does not meet our companys security standards as a Public privacy level is required.

As for the DirectQuery solution, there are too much limitations as of now and again it doesn't meet our companys needs in terms of data management.

As proposed by the previous reply by GilbertQ, we are exploring the Dataflows solution, which seems to meet our company's requirements better.

Have a nice day

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @DavBI 

One way you could create this is to store all the indiviual tables using Dataflows and then connect the different Power BI reports to the dataflows?

You could then cherry pick the ones for each dataset?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors