Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extract data with RLS applied

Hi all - 

I have set up RLS and published to the service, but when i test the role and export data, the data export contains all rows and not just the Org that i have the filter set on. For example, if my Org is India, the visual shows only data related to India but the export in .XLS format contains rows related to all countries and not just India. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it a known bug that is being worked on?

This defeats the purpose of RLS if they are able to export all underlying data although i have specified only to export summarized data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

If you are in "test as role" model, RLS doesn't apply for this report when you export data.

But in the actual scene, RLS works well.

and here is a same post for you refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/RLS-security-does-not-apply-on-exported-data-when-tested-by-role/idi-p/609548

"This is by design. It is just to test the role but not to apply the same filter for exporting."

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

If you are in "test as role" model, RLS doesn't apply for this report when you export data.

But in the actual scene, RLS works well.

and here is a same post for you refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/RLS-security-does-not-apply-on-exported-data-when-tested-by-role/idi-p/609548

"This is by design. It is just to test the role but not to apply the same filter for exporting."

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks, but i realized this was not the solution in my case so i want to make everyone aware. If your user has a "viewer" role, please also ensure that you assign them "Build" permission by going to "manage permissions" in the dataset. Only once they have this permission will you see that they are able to export data. Without this permission set, they will not be able to export data. Once you set the build permission, theyshould be able to get data from the dashboard.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors