Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Extract RLS roles and users assigned

Hi, 

I have multiple reports with all of them having RLS roles. Is there a way to extract the list of roles  and the users assigned to each one of them? 

For example, in one report I have 15 RLS roles and about 100 users assigned. It is very difficult to manage which user is assigned which role. 

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Nishant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I would suggest is to use Dynamic Row Level Security and then use Active Directory Security Groups.

This will mean that you can have one role, and have the users in specific AD Security Groups. Which will make the administration, as well as who can see what a lot easier.

Here is my blog post explaining how to achieve this: https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/02/20/dynamic-row-level-security-is-easy-with-active-directory-security...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I would suggest is to use Dynamic Row Level Security and then use Active Directory Security Groups.

This will mean that you can have one role, and have the users in specific AD Security Groups. Which will make the administration, as well as who can see what a lot easier.

Here is my blog post explaining how to achieve this: https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/02/20/dynamic-row-level-security-is-easy-with-active-directory-security...

Power BI Blog

Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks  @GilbertQ for your response. I will try to give this a go. Do you know how to setup AD security groups. I believe we are restricted by the organisation policy to create security group. Given the number of roles that we have in our report, setting those many security group doesn't seem to be viable option

Hi there,

Essentially you could set up on AD Security Group, which would have all the users.

You could then have another file which would have the mapping for each user and what data they need to see.
That could then be consolidated in Power Query.

Then in Power BI Desktop you would create only 1 role, and apply the DAX so that each user would only see their data.

Once this has been uploaded to the Power BI Service, you would then add this single AD Security Group under Security.

So there are a few steps but this would possibly the easiest way to get it working.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors