Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JPacella312
Helper I
Helper I

External user dataset sharing - cannot build report from dataset

When we shared a dataset (and report) to an external user with a Pro License, they used to be able to build their own reports from the dataset we shared with them (They had the permissions)

Now the same user is reporting the icon which allowed them to do that is gone.  

Anyone know what might be the issue?  We've encountered so many problems with the sharing content to external users with pro licenses, it's so frustrating. Things go wrong or change with no notice, and it's impossible to troubleshoot their experience without arranging for a time-wasting screen sharing session with them, since the way the external sharing works is not possible to duplicate within the organization.

5 REPLIES 5
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@JPacella312 

You need to check whether the external users has the Build Permission of the dataset. 

BTW, Power BI enables sharing content with external guest users through Azure Active Directory Business-to-business (Azure AD B2B), you can allow guest users outside your organization to edit and manage content within your organization. Once added as guest, you can assign guest users with workspace roles like your organization member.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The user does have Build permissions:

permissions.png

But in the Related Content of the Report, that shows the dataset, there's no Build button that used to be there:

cant buid.png

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @JPacella312 ,

This could be a few things in your setup.  Has somebody removed this user (seems likely since the icon is gone) from the shared?    Has an admin removed the ability to share on your system?  Cna they see the report but not the dataset?  Or , can they see nothng at all?  Has RLS been implemented and they don't have the appropriate permissions?  Has the report name or dataset changed?  Has something been added to the dataset that the user doesn't have permission to see?

Let us know how that goes and then we can dig deeper.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

>Has somebody removed this user (seems likely since the icon is gone) from the shared?

No. The external user has and had the same access. After he reported the problem, we revoked and reissued the permission/sharing but he still does not have access to the functionality to build a report from the dataset that he used to have.

bi.png

What the arrow is pointing to, is now gone.

>Has an admin removed the ability to share on your system? 

No

>Cna they see the report but not the dataset? 

They see the dataset in related content of the report, but the icon to allow them to build something from it is gone.

>Has RLS been implemented and they don't have the appropriate permissions?  Has the report name or dataset changed?  Has something been added to the dataset that the user doesn't have permission to see?

No to all of those questions.

Thanks for the help.

Hi @JPacella312 ,

How about trying to send them the direct link from when you share with them (you may have to re-share to get that link in the share).  Does it work with the direct link for the external user? 

Another thought, this might be a visual thing but did the workspace go from Classic to New (I don't THINK that will affect it but I am swinging for the fences here).

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors