Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jonathan77
Frequent Visitor

External sharing but recipient blocked from accessing Power BI Service Environment

Dear All,

I have shared a report with a user at a corporate client by simply granting them access through the Power BI Service. This has worked fine with other external parties, but in this instance the user cannot access it and gets the error message "You can't get there from here". Their IT department has said the user will be unable to access the report "if it has been published to the publisher's tenant i.e. the Power BI Service environment". I assume this is some sort of corporate policy.

Their IT dept have suggested we could:

- publish to web. Can't do this as report is confidential

- send them the PBIX file. Don't want to do this as it will share the underlying data model

Is there any other way to publish a secure report that might work in this instance?

Also is this sort of restriction common amongst corporates?

5 REPLIES 5
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Jonathan77 ,

In addition to the above two methods, pbix files can also be placed in the premium dedicated capacity, so that even external users can access the contents of pbix inside.

Or use planed invites or ad hoc invites to grant Pro licenses to guest users to access pbix content.

Related contents about planned and ad hoc invites can be viewed in this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/whitepaper-azure-b2b-power-bi

The link for premium is here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Jonathan77 , you can share PowerPoint or pdf via email.

Refer to this for external access -https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

Or you can create an Id for that client in your organization and share via that.

@amitchandak 

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately PPT and PDF are insufficent as I want to share an interactive report. 

I have also provided access credentials via an internal test account set up in our environment and that is also blocked when access is attempted from within the client's corporate environment. I don't know how these things work but it seems that they are set up to block access to reports housed on external PBI tenants.

Any other ideas? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonathan77 Have you considered publish to web option?

@Anonymous 

It's a confidential report so publish to web is not going to work

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors