Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

External guest access to report comments

Hello

I am new to the forum and apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. But we are experiencing an issue with external guest users unable to comment on Power BI reports. I'll outline our situation.

Currently, we use workspaces to develop reports and then allow external user access to the resulting app. The external users are not provided access to the workspace directly. We have recently discovered that our external users are unable to enter comments as normal in the service which we would like to use for collaboration.

My understanding is that external users are unable to do this because we have the "Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization" disabled in our tenant for our organization. My concern over turning this on is that we then expose more than we want with clients. We only want external users to have access to the resulting app.

So here are my questions:

• Does turning on the "Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization" provide external users access to use comments in Power BI apps? Or do I have this worng and there is something else at work here?
  • If we enable this feature for the organization, would external users have access to the underlying workspace for app they are provided access to?

Again, we basically want external users to have access to apps and be able to comment on reports, but ahve no additional access.

Thank you in advance for your comments and support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

• Does turning on the "Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization" provide external users access to use comments in Power BI apps? Or do I have this worng and there is something else at work here?

Yes. You could turn it on to make external users use comments.

2.gif

• If we enable this feature for the organization, would external users have access to the underlying workspace for app they are provided access to?

No. The permissions of app are just aim to app users. They don't affect the users who have access of workspace. You could disable the options like below. (Reference: Allow users to connect to datasets ).

2.PNG

For existing app users, permissions on the underlying datasets don't change. You can remove Build permission manually from app users who should no longer have it. Read more about the Build permission.

3.PNG

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes. You could turn it on to make external users use comments.

2.gif

No. The permissions of app are just aim to app users. They don't affect the users who have access of workspace. You could disable the options like below. (Reference: Allow users to connect to datasets ).

2.PNG

For existing app users, permissions on the underlying datasets don't change. You can remove Build permission manually from app users who should no longer have it. Read more about the Build permission.

3.PNG

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I can see it is a current limitation that external users cannot comment. It might be possible to do it with the tenant setting.

What I would suggest is to look for the idea to vote for changes at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors