Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sumsar
Helper II
Helper II

External content distribution

Hi,

We have an Azure SQL Server running with 50 databases on it, each representing one of our customers' data. New customers onboarding on a regular basis. The structure is the same between these databases. On top of the databases we want to build a standard Power BI App or Content Pack in a way, that we can just onboard a customer by sending them user name and password for their respective database, then they can go grab the app from powerbi.com, being prompted for the aforementioned credentials and see the standard reports in the app based on their own data.

Basically a one source, multiple (external) users scenario, but with users outside our organisation.

On a more technical side node, three parameters needs to change per customer; database name, user name and password. The database name however, is the same as the user name.

I would like to see some recommendations for how to solve this scenario.

Thanks alot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Sumsar Aside from the technical challenges of this, you will likely want to reach out to your local MSFT rep and walk them through your offering. There is a sticky point around sharing externally (fine and covered by licenses) vs. assuming the role of providing Power BI as a Service... which needs special permission to do because in essence you are assuming the role of MSFT assigning those licenses.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Sumsar Aside from the technical challenges of this, you will likely want to reach out to your local MSFT rep and walk them through your offering. There is a sticky point around sharing externally (fine and covered by licenses) vs. assuming the role of providing Power BI as a Service... which needs special permission to do because in essence you are assuming the role of MSFT assigning those licenses.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks Seth,

I cleared that with my local office and I will go with a single DB and RLS scenario.

Br Rasmus

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors