Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bsngr
Frequent Visitor

External User connect to Power BI Service Dataset in Report Builder

Hello,

I have an external user (who is set up in Azure AD and has a Power Bi Pro license through our organization) who would like to connect in the report builder for paginated reports to a dataset that he has build access to.

However, this is not possible with the "connect to power bi service dataset" option in the report builder, as this will show no datasets for him (probably because he is connecting to "his" tenant which obviously has nothing in it). I can't figure out how to tell the report builder to connect to our tenant and choose a dataset from there.

I also wondered if it's maybe possible to open the .rdl file in an editor and somehow change the connection string there to include the tenant id like you would do in the browser link.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I am aware it is not currently possible for an external user to create Paginated reports.

You could vote for the idea on https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I am aware it is not currently possible for an external user to create Paginated reports.

You could vote for the idea on https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the reply!  I guess I have to hope that paginated reports will be enabled for Pro users as well as Premium users which would circumvent this whole issue in the first place...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors