Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

renecernitz
Frequent Visitor

External Sharing with limited data access

Hi everyone,

In my company we want to share a dashboard for our clients (external to our organization).

We have created a dashboard with all clients data in such a way that, internally, we can see the figures of a single, or a group of clients, through a slicer.

The problem is that we want to share this dashboard but each clients can only see their data, not all the data.

Is there any possibility to restrict access only to their data?
Can this be done if I share the dashboard through a link? Or do I have no choice but to create a report per installation with only their data?

Thanks in advance for your help 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @renecernitz 

What you want is called Row Level Security (RLS) in Power BI.

This restricts the data users can see on a Report by login name. So you can create one report, share it with 10 other users and they will only see the data that is applicable to them.

You can find the microsoft documentation on RLS here Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

other useful links are here (53) What is Row-Level Security (RLS) in Power BI??? - YouTube

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @renecernitz 

What you want is called Row Level Security (RLS) in Power BI.

This restricts the data users can see on a Report by login name. So you can create one report, share it with 10 other users and they will only see the data that is applicable to them.

You can find the microsoft documentation on RLS here Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

other useful links are here (53) What is Row-Level Security (RLS) in Power BI??? - YouTube

Hope this helps

Stuart

Thanks 🙂 I was just looking at it but a I have a doubt. 

Do all these external users need to have previously created a Power BI account?

Yes, for RLS to work the users require Power BI accounts. That is how Power BI works out what data to show to each user. The accounts can be Free accounts if the Dataset is hosted on a Premium Capacity Workspace, or the appropriate Pro or PPU licence if not.

Without a Power BI licence there is no way to work out who the user is. If you can't work out who the user is, you cannot restrict them to only their data. That's why you need a Power BI Licence for RLS to work.

Hope this helps

Stuart 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors