Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thebadger77
Frequent Visitor

External Sharing B2B

So sharing Power BI dashboards with external clients has always been a pain.

We build bespoke client dashboards using our SQL data, and share with them.

With the recent support of B2B with Azure AD, we've been able to share some of these by inviting as a guest user to our tenant and assigning a Pro license. Still convuluted, but works.

However, one customer has locked down access to external tenants. When they try and login, they get:

You can't get there from here.

It looks like you're trying to access a resource that belongs to an organisation that hasn't been approved by your IT department. 

If we set them up with an account in our tenant, and give them details, they also recieve that message.

We don't want to use premium, as we're only sharing with a handful of users, so are there any alternatives? We can't share the PBIX file as sensitive data.

Only thing I can think of is to publish the dashboard to web, and build a web page to embed this in....very much not ideal!

Thanks, any suggestions welcomed!

3 REPLIES 3

@thebadger77 Is adding your domain as a trusted domain a viable option? I don't know the specifics, but this should be possible. Outside of that, you could use embedded to have external users access their reports via an application to get around this. DO NOT use Publish to Web - that feature is not for private data, you will expose your clients information to anyone on the internet. You need to purchase an Embedded sku. The "A" or azure usage sku is the easiest to purchase.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I'm facing a very similar issue.  The pricing model is asinine.  Buying a Pro license for each external user is more cost effective than embedded as long as one has < 75 users, which I suspect is more than A1 is designed for anyways. But of course, doing so creates it's own issues, as many of us are now experiencing.  

Are there any plans to introduce some scalability into the embedded pricing model?  When I started designing my product embedded was $5/100 page views, but that rug was pulled out from under me.

Another issue is that this makes marketing far more difficult than it should be - thus preventing me from getting to a place where I can justfy $750+/m.  I can't embed a demo behind a user account wall to attract new users without making that available to the world (publish to web) or signing them up for Pro accounts.

Thanks for reply, unfortunately their IT department has a blanket restriction on external tenant access.

Embedded pricing isnt going to work. They only need 2 user licenses = $20 per month through pro. Embedded would be $700 a month to provision resource....for just 2 users!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors