Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DSwezey
Helper III
Helper III

External SQL server data refresh on Published Dashboard

I currently have a client where we pull data from a SQL server on their Intranet. When we are in our office we connect via a VPN to pull that data.

The issue I am having is if I am not connected to their VPN then the web dashboard fails to refresh. 

Obviously, when I am working on the Power BI file I am connected to the VPN to grab the data, but I do not want to have my computer on and connected to the VPN at all times for my client to be able to refresh the data on their dashboards.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @DSwezey 

Yes if you want to connect to the SQL Server that is sitting behind a VPN then you need to have a gateway server that is either always connected to the VPN, or install the gateway on the SQL Server.

The only time you do not need a gateway is if you are using Azure SQL Databases.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

They need to install the data gateway on some machine that is expected to be consistently available, preferably a local one, but it doesn't have to necessarily be the same machine as the SQL server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @DSwezey 

Yes if you want to connect to the SQL Server that is sitting behind a VPN then you need to have a gateway server that is either always connected to the VPN, or install the gateway on the SQL Server.

The only time you do not need a gateway is if you are using Azure SQL Databases.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Why do you need your computer in order to refresh the data?

The Power BI dataset should connect to their SQL server via a data gateway, right?

Correct, but the data gateway is currently setup on my physical laptop. Would they have to install an on-premis data gateway on their sql server machine?

They need to install the data gateway on some machine that is expected to be consistently available, preferably a local one, but it doesn't have to necessarily be the same machine as the SQL server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors