Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

the_olka

External CDM folder can't resolve inherited entity

Hi All,

I've created DataFlow using External CDM folder in data lake. I'm trying to retrieve entity data by providing appropriate manifest and entity json files. I would like to use entity inheritance feature like this:

the_olka_0-1660920759283.png

This works in EntityViewer (GitHub) - appropriate entity and its properties are visible but not in Power BI desktop.

Here is base entity config:

the_olka_1-1660920869929.png

Can someone help me to resolve this issue? ExtendsEntity feature is very important in using,

what's wrong with my config? probably for dataLake there should be different corpusPath urls?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @the_olka - you screenshots suggest that you are connecting to the Data Lake via a tool like Azure Data Factory instead of Power BI Desktop.  Could you please share screenshots of the steps when connecting using Power BI Get Data:

DarylLynchBzy_0-1660927464493.png

Hi @Daryl-Lynch-Bzy , I created DataFlow in Power BI workspace using Attach External CDM option where I provided url to my manifest file in DataLake (i am using default.manifest.cdm.json instead of model.json)

the_olka_0-1660982385252.png

After workspace created I can create reports in power BI Desktop.

Everything was working as expected and DF provided appropriate data until I started to use ExtendsEntity property in Entity.cdm.json. Power BI cannot resolve the inheritance.

the_olka_1-1660982482831.png

Can someone please clarify what is a proper way to inherit entity model in Entity.cdm.json?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors