Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extend shared dataset with local data

I have created a dataset with generic information about user adoption for a specific product in our company. 

I would now like to share this dataset with different departments in our company, and allow them to build new reports on top of my generic dataset. All of this works fine by giving the departments the ViewerBuild permissions on the shared dataset which I created. 

I would also like to give departments the possibility to add their own data next to my shared dataset. For instance in their reports based on my shared dataset, it would be very useful if the departments could add more finegrained data that is only available to them locally. When connecting a new report to an existing shared dataset however, I don't see the option to "add data" from another source.

What would be the best way to add data from for instance a CSV file next to the shared dataset (and create a relation between both datasets)? This would allow the local departments to build their own richer reports, but all based on the same shared generic dataset. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

what you are looking for is the new "composite model" capability, that allows to extend existing Power BI datasets by local data, this feature is in preview and has entered Power BI Desktop with the December 2020 release.

Start reading here: Use composite models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

One of the Program Manager of Power BI has started a discussion about this feature here: Re: Share your thoughts on DirectQuery for Power B... - Page 8 - Microsoft Power BI Community

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

what you are looking for is the new "composite model" capability, that allows to extend existing Power BI datasets by local data, this feature is in preview and has entered Power BI Desktop with the December 2020 release.

Start reading here: Use composite models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

One of the Program Manager of Power BI has started a discussion about this feature here: Re: Share your thoughts on DirectQuery for Power B... - Page 8 - Microsoft Power BI Community

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, this is indeed what I am looking for, but I didn't get it to work yet. 

I connect to the existing shared dataset (located in a shared workspace) as following: 

bartbilliet_0-1611605956619.png
After doing so the shared dataset is loaded, but all of the data-import-buttons in Power BI desktop (2.88.1385.0) are disabled once connected to the existing shared dataset. I am unable to add a local CSV file to the report. 

Capture_pbi.PNG

In the linked docs.microsoft.com page I read: 

The following Live Connect multi-dimensional sources can't be used with composite models:

• Power BI datasets

Then again, in the PowerBI community post you mentioned I see a diagram that looks a lot like what I would like to use.. I'm confused.. 

Screenshot 2021-01-25 210200.png

Should I be able to use composite model with a PBI dataset anyway? Is there something to enable/activate first?
Or is there another supported way to connect to a shared PBI dataset via for example DirectQuery or other import methods that are supported for composite model? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, seems I missed the blog post, which explains the preview feature flag here, this seems to help out! 🙂

bartbilliet_0-1611607000548.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors