Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zausten
Helper I
Helper I

Exports to Excel

Hi,

Couple of questions on excel exports from PBI Service

1. I have a percentage field, on the table display its set to two decimals.  However when I export to excel using stanard summarised option, it exports 4 (per the measure structure). However on csv it exports just 2 as per display.  Its like excel exports the dataset field, where csv exports the display value.  Why does this happen?
  2. On the new export "Data with current layout". I have a matrix with a text month/year with a drilldown to date.  If I export out the date is converted to an integer in excel, so users are having to convert this back to a date.  Seem like  a bug
  3. Also on the new export feature, columns are being randonly re-orgainised, so it doenst export with curent layout. Anyone else seen this?

thanks

Zeb

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Let me guess in there.

1- I guess when you export to excel it shows the format of the measure without caring about the visualization format. You can have measures with X decimals configured and change that for a certain visual. Excel files may be able to handle format while csv are only text plain values. Check your measures data type format. Make them fixed decimal and pick the number of decimals. I think that should solve the export.

2 and 3 this is a new feature that might be preview yet. You can submit the issue in here to help Power Bi team to solve it: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

thanks for the reply @ibarrau 

I will log 2 & 3 separately

1.  Yes I have put in changes to the measure to compensate, but doesnt really explain why.  Our users have also spotted some other "features" of exports

• Why does pbi include filters on in the summarised data export. can you change?
  • if you add a new column in the excel, and create a calculated field the field name is used as opposed to the cell number - see image.  Im not sure if this is an excel feature of pbi?
  • On a csv expports date fields are export with a 00:00:00 and time adds 1890-01-01 . I found an old thread on this but looks like no change ever made. https://github.com/DaxStudio/DaxStudio/issues/365
  • Can you change the delimiter for a csv, e.g. include a " around the csv?
  • zausten_0-1637829929236.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors