Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dibaSFP
Advocate I
Advocate I

Export to file (PDF/PPTX) REST API - shorten preview or lift limits?

Hi everyone,

Export to PDF via REST API has been made available as preview feature sind 03/2020 (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/export-report-to-pdf-pptx-and-png-files-using-power-bi-rest....
According to the current documentation of planned changes, GA is suprisingly planned for 09/2021 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2021wave1/power-bi/planned-features).

As the preview status limits the exports to 50 pages per hour for the whole capacity this is a huge problem for our PBI Embedded solution. We have about 2000 reports having several pages and numerous users. 50 pages an hour is rather ... a drop.

Is there any way, how we could mitigate/change this limitation (and/or could someone decides to shorten the preview timeframe)?

Regards,
DibaSFP
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dibaSFP
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi everyone,

I have got the information that the preview may be shortened for Power BI Gen2 customers (customers which have already upgraded the Power BI Service version to Gen2) by a couple of months. So, go ahead and upgrade (for free): https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/announcing-preview-availability-of-improved-analytics-with-...

Regards,

DibaSFP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dibaSFP
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi everyone,

I have got the information that the preview may be shortened for Power BI Gen2 customers (customers which have already upgraded the Power BI Service version to Gen2) by a couple of months. So, go ahead and upgrade (for free): https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/announcing-preview-availability-of-improved-analytics-with-...

Regards,

DibaSFP

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @dibaSFP ,

take a look at Microsoft PowerAutomate.

There you can export a Power BI Report to a PDF. This you could trigger to start daily automatically:

4.png

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Blog: WhatTheFact.bi

There is another reason why this solution is problematic for some. Doing the "Print to PDF" via Power Automate requires a licensing of "premium capacity" which comes currently at a cost of 5000 USD per month. 
Nice for those who already have this license but a bit on the rediculously expensive side for others who simply want to generate 1 PDF a month.

Dear selimovd,

thank you, I will take a look into the feature! But I guess it will not solve the problem for our Power BI Embedded web application and its numerous users.

Regards,

DibaSFP

Hello @dibaSFP ,

why not?

You can start the export via PowerAutomate with the RESTAPI:

Calling Microsoft Flow from your application | Power Automate Blog

This can start the creation of a PDF with Power Automate and send it directly to the logged in user.

Maybe I forgot a point, but for me it seems to be a solution.

You could also think to create a paginated report and send it as PDF, this might be an easier way.

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Blog: WhatTheFact.bi

Hi Denis,

why not?

In general, you provided a technical solution on how to export & send PDF reports to users. Thank you! The solution may also work in a Power BI Embedded scenario, if - for our solution - a service principal account is able to consume the Power Automate service.

Still, I will not consider it as a viable alternative, as an additional 500$/month Power Automate subscription would be needed (while we already pay 10k/month for Power BI Service). It may be 10$/month, if one service principal account counts as "one user" in a Power Automate subscription and that this "user" can then be used to trigger 1000nds of exports/month. Both highly unlikely.

But thank you for pointing out an interesting technical solution!

Regards,

DibaSFP

Hey @dibaSFP ,

fair enough, I see your point.

To be honest then I don't know any other alternative at the moment.

I keep this in mind, in case I find another solution I will update this post here.

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors