Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CmdrKeene
Helper IV
Helper IV

Export to PowerPoint or PDF is not filtered properly

When I use the Export to PDF or PowerPoint, I select to use the current values -- but the report that generates is not filtered at all and looks like it's using no filter criteria. Is there a known problem with this?

CmdrKeene
11 REPLIES 11
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CmdrKeene ,

I didn't reproduce your problem.

If you use the ‘Default value’, you will get the report in the default state.

(You can use 'Reset to default' to restore the default state.)

v-lionel-msft_0-1594692010000.png

If you use the 'Current value', you will get the re-filtered report.

Maybe you can refer to the case.

Export to PDF from Service not respecting Current Value selections 

Or provide a screenshot, I want to know if you are adding slicers or the filters on the right or other filtering features?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm using Current Values, but it's exporting as if i have no filtered applied.

I use the filters pane on the right side to filter my report (it is a filter that applies to all 6 pages of the report), but when I export and use (current values), it still exports as if I had no filtering applied, even though it should.

CmdrKeene

I found something interesting.  If I have a filter applied via the URL query string (by adding ?filter= to the URL when navigating to the report in my browser), the export does not filter (even though the filter pane does show the filter applied and report works normally otherwise).

I really enjoy the URL filter, it helps me make this more seamless from users navigating to the report from other systems so they land on an already-filtered report view.

CmdrKeene

Hi @CmdrKeene ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1595843907855.png

Like this? Your idea is very creative.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That's exactly right. Here's an actual example:

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/9792ecd3-7fcc-4301-bacb-8f137299f931/reports/28d24e47-10b3-4f5e-b6c9-...

The %2F is a /

The %20 is a space character

The %27 is apostrophe (single quote mark) '

So the same URL can be written as:

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/9792ecd3-7fcc-4301-bacb-8f137299f931/reports/28d24e47-10b3-4f5e-b6c9-...

Going to the URL does indeed filter the report correctly and all the visuals have that filter applied. But when I export out the PDF, the filter is not applied to the export.

CmdrKeene

Hi @CmdrKeene ,

This is true, so you need to manually change the filter selection in the filter pane on the right when you export to PDF. Because you will find that the URL link don't change when you change the filter selection.

Or submit an idea .

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

It seems like it must be a bug.  Since the URL filters are officially supported, and they do apply the correct filter in the filter pane.  But for some reason the export doesn't recognize that the filter is set.

CmdrKeene

We are currently facing the same problem. Setting a filter in the URL leads to a correct report, but the export to PowerPoint or PDF ignores the filter. And I agree: this looks like a bug!

Is there any solution found for this problem meanwhile?

I've not found a workaround this far. I will reach out in a Microsoft internal group I'm a member of, perhaps they can help clarify or escalate this. 

CmdrKeene

To be clear: the problem occurs after filtering a report with URL strings as officially documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-url-filters 

CmdrKeene

The export with report URL filters is not supported according to documentation:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-pdf?tabs=powerbi-desktop#considerations... 

In the Power BI service, URL filters aren't currently respected when you choose Current Values for your export.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors