Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tzvikei
Employee
Employee

Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feedback

This thread was created to gather feedback and communicate over the new Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feature in PowerBI.com.

Ask questions, suggest features, or leave general feedback. We will monitor closely.

Thanks,

Tzvi Keisar

Program Manager, Power BI

Tzvi Keisar
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft Power BI
295 REPLIES 295
Soapbox

Hi, 

I'm having trouble exporting when using a page dimension other than 16:9. 16:9 works great, but is often too short. 

Letter exports with a large grey area on the left of the chart and crops the right hand side of the chart. 

Custom dimensions are equally as buggy. I did find the problem is less apparent if using a custom dimension such as 1920 x 1080 which is still 16:9 just larger... but it still crops off certain sections of the chart. 

It would be great to be able to export images of individual charts. (To be honest that's what I'm trying to do, going through PowerPoint is the only way I can achieve this at the moment)

Thank you. 

leylandv
Regular Visitor

I have two issues that I have not yet been able to resolve:

1) Everytime I export to PowerPoint, the first page of the presentation (excluding the cover page) always has grey boxes instead of the visualisations. As a work around, I have to duplicate the first page - one will then display the grey boxes and the other will display correcrlt in PowerPoint. (It makes no difference if I save the report before exporting as mentioned in previous posts). 

2) I have created several textboxes with hyperlinks my report, however, all of the hyperlinks are removed when exported to PowerPoint. They then have to be manuallly added back into the presentation. Very annoying...

Any suggestions to resolve these issues would be appreciated. Particularly around the hyperlinks issue. Thanks!

Hi leylandv,

Thanks for your feedback!

1) We are not aware of this problem. I would be glad if you can share more details on our support email: 

mpbisup@microsoft.com.

2) The export is creating images by taking a snapshot, thus the hyperlinks are no longer working.

Regards,

- ron

Fraukje
Advocate I
Advocate I

One more thing that I would love to see added:

- The ability to export without embedded links to the report.

I absolutely agree with this.

We're trying to generate a PowerPoint with branded content and a background image. Firstly, background images don't show up in PowerPoint exports which is really annoying. So we are just trying to use an Image, but that makes the whole page clickable pointing to the Power BI website unless you remove the hyperlinks...

Yeah, currently we use the export to PowerPoint a lot, and we use a macro to remove all the hyperlinks that are automatically embedded.

However, it would be great if it is possible to export to PowerPoint without those hyperlinks embedded, or an option somewhere to enable/disable this.

Yep. I saw that macro as well, but we're trying to generate decks for non-technical folks. I can't have them going in and running...

Dim slide As slide
    Dim index As Long
    Dim counter As Long
    counter = 0
    For Each slide In ActivePresentation.Slides
        For index = slide.Hyperlinks.Count To 1 Step -1
            slide.Hyperlinks(index).Delete
            counter = counter + 1
        Next index
    Next slide
    MsgBox ("Removed " + CStr(counter) + " links")

I totally agree with you. Macros are already quite technical for non-technical folks!

shwetak
Frequent Visitor

Hi 

Can we export the report in the .ppt file without the first slide which came with every report (Name  & link of the report  are displayed on that slide)?

Do we have any way to remove that slide from ppt file at the time of export itself?

Let me know possible ways.

Thanks in Advance,

Ikeumlaut
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hey,

we have been testing the export function on project reports that are handed out to customers. The feedback is that the quality of the exported pictures are too low, they look fudgy on large screens and HD monitors...so sad!

Please just give us a real PPT export that supports the graphs as actual graphs (vectors) and not pictures.

Thanks!

Hey!  Enjoy the comments on this thread and have learned lots.  Is there a way other than Power BI tiles to dynamically link a visualization from Power BI into PPT so that it automatically updates with each data refresh.  If this was explained earlier and I missed it, please forgive.

apustovoy
Frequent Visitor

I'd like to suggest a feature... Iterate through a slicer during the export.

Let me explain... I have a dashboard with 3 tabs in it, that have a country as slicer... Weekly I need to send each country leader a powepoint deck with these 3 views. It would be very convenient if during the export PowerBI could iterate through the slicer and export views for each country into the powerpoint deck.

Hope I am making sense! )

apustovoy
Frequent Visitor

I'd like to suggest a feature... Iterate through a slicer during the export.

Let me explain... I have a dashboard with 3 tabs that have a country as slicer... Weekly I need to send each country leader a powepoint deck with these 3 views. It would be very convenient if export could iterate through the slicer and export views for each country into the powerpoint deck.

Hope I am making sense! )

ellbe
Employee
Employee

Thanks for your feedback!

This feature is currently in preview mode. We are aware of everything you described and they will be addressed before going to GA.

An exception to that is supporting session level slicers and filters (#4) that will be released post GA.

Please note that some custom visuals are already certified for export (#5). You can read more about it here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-custom-visuals-certified/

Hi Elbe, thats great news, and thank you for such a quick response. I do love the Power Bi updates, and I know there are regular and great improvements all the time. 

Do you have an indication of when the PowerPoint export improvements will go into GA? After selling Power BI in as a sollution to a major client (my mistake for asuming the itegration with PowerPoint would be seamless), they now have to screen grab 12 pages of reports for 22 different clients every week. It is a real drag and a fail on my part. I do want to move them to online access, but PowerPoint to PDF is the only option for them at this moment.

Thanks again.

Can you we lease let me know if there will be a way that export to Power Point will be able to be use with PBI Premium Embedded.

Export from embedded artifacts is not in our immediate roadmap. To promote that, it would be great if you could vote on that idea in our Ideas forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi?WT.mc_id=Community&query=Office%20export

My horrible hopefully temporary workaround has been to use the snipping tool to grab screenshots of each Power BI report page and paste each one into powerpoint.

http://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/automatically-size-pictures-powerpoint-2549.html

This article describes how to resize pictures automatically in Power Point. After you set up the resizing, it describes choosing the picture file you want, but instead I just copy the screenshot, go back to power point, select the picture box without clicking the insert picture icon, and then paste your copied picture. It resizes the copy & paste the same way it would if you chose a picture file to put there.

It in no way replaces the need for Power BI to be able to export to Power Point properly, but it at least saves a little time until the feature is working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to export power bi reports to power point with the on premise power bi reports ?

Will this feature be implemented in the future ?

Kind regards,

Mohammad

bendenison
Frequent Visitor

Warning for anyone thinking of using the eport to powerpoint feature. There are a number of issues. It would be amazing if these could be addressed.

1) Date format is not persisted on any visuals or slicers if using dd/mm/yyyy. In power BI everything is configured correctly in the dd/mm/yyyy format, yet when the report is exported to powerpoint its converts it to mm/dd/yyyy - local machne has correct regional, language and date format settings

2) Text boxes still lose formatting. This is hugely frustraiting

3) Borders on visulisations sometimes mysteriously dissapear

4) Slicer does not persist the formating

5) Custom visulisations still not supported

6) Images and visualisations must not overlap

bmmcintosh
Advocate I
Advocate I

Love that you can export to ppt but hate the fact that it doesn't filter on slicers when allowing users to only be able to select a single item.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors