Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tzvikei
Employee
Employee

Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feedback

This thread was created to gather feedback and communicate over the new Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feature in PowerBI.com.

Ask questions, suggest features, or leave general feedback. We will monitor closely.

Thanks,

Tzvi Keisar

Program Manager, Power BI

Tzvi Keisar
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft Power BI
295 REPLIES 295
djurecic
Regular Visitor

I get the following error message:

Unable to export to PowerPoint

We couldn't export your report to a PowerPoint file
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity IDfda21001-910a-4cb5-a2a9-89482a193fb5
Request ID2de9112b-cc3a-5385-a9c0-c3e5e7dcd4ba
Correlation ID82456505-46a9-03b8-4616-527f1f0a33c8
Status code500
TimeTue Mar 28 2017 12:50:36 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.1511
Cluster URIhttps://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net

palunel
Helper I
Helper I

Hi there

I seem to be having a different problem.  IT exports but in PowerPoint it only shows the title page.  All the other report pages (less than 15) are blank.

Regards

Paul

Apologies.  See this has already been raised as an issue.  Will await the outcome.

gsalas
Helper II
Helper II

Hi!  Love the export feature, but it is so unstable!

As recently as yesterday, I could get the export to work as longas the file was less than 50 MB and I cleared my internet cache, but now NOTHING is working:

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID9fc56fcb-f413-437c-bb29-cbfefcbfad1b
Request ID5cd00ce9-9dd3-f7f1-4e3b-b09e556027a2
Correlation ID8b476989-b70a-049f-db63-5f73d51c0bc9
Status code500
TimeMon Mar 27 2017 13:32:17 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
Version13.0.1700.1511

Additional requests:

1. Export Data Cards as text boxes and tables as editable tables, not png

2. Export all other visuals as pngs with transparent background

Hi,

We are aware of those problems and actively working on fixing them.

Please contact our support mail mpbisup@microsoft.com with more secific details so we can follow up.

As for the additional requests, the first one is currently not part of our plans and the second one is something we will fix in the coming months.

Regards,

- ron

jtdesouza
Frequent Visitor

Greetings,

As we roll out Power BI within my company, we share how your team is working hard to continuously improve the product.  With regards to exporting to PowerPoint, is there a backlog of specific features that you have prioritized as the next to push to the preview function?  Can these be shared within this thread?  High on the list for us are a few items listed as limitations:

• Custom visuals, and R visuals, are not currently supported. Any such visuals are exported as a blank image into PowerPoint.
  • In-session interactivity such as highlighting and filtering, drill-down, and so on, are not yet supported when exporting to PowerPoint. The exported PowerPoint shows the original visuals as they were saved in the report.

Many thanks,
Josh

Hi Josh,

Thanks for reaching out. We do have a backlog of improvements but no slated release dates yet and the prioritization may change.
Specifically for the items you mentioned:

- Custom visuals support is activly being worked on. We plan to gradually support more more custom visuals starting April. The un-supported visuals however, should be exported with a relevant message today and ont a blank image.
- We are aware of the need for in-session interactivity and are looking into it. We do not have a release date for it yet.

Thanks,
Ella

MEclay
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Love the Powerpoint feature, but have one question.

Is it possible to upload a Powerpoint as a template and use that instead of the conventional Microsoft branded powerpoint that is exported??

I want to use our company template, and wasn't sure if this was already a feature or if this was potentially on the future roadmap?

It would be an awesome addition.

Thanks,

Matt Eicher

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback!

This is not planned in our immediate backlog however, the result Power Ponit deck can be edited so you can copy-paste the relevant report pages to a bigger scope and/ir templetized presentation.

I hope that helps,
Ella

MEclay
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ella,

Thanks for the reply.

This doesn't really help us because the objective is for the users to be able to click 'export powerpoint' and have it in our format -- we don't want them having to change the powerpoint.

Maybe this could be put on the roadmap.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks. It is in our backlog, just not planned for the near future. We are periodically evaluating priorities and will take that into account.

shill1000
Helper IV
Helper IV

I'm also seeing issues wiht the export today and it was fine yesterday AM. Of all the days - I'm trying to set up a demo of Power BI for senior management!

Error, for what its worth:

Activity ID7eb51795-b024-4780-8acd-93be48edc68a
Request IDf1bf197e-544f-61ec-26ec-01bfcf222873
Correlation ID5d7d9d52-8bda-ae4c-e5aa-bfc80481bd73
Status code500
TimeThu Mar 23 2017 15:49:58 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
Version13.0.1700.1501
olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

May I ask what could be the possible causes of errors in exporting to PPT? I keep getting Error Code 500 and the only custom vis object I have would be Matrix Preview, and there are some objects on my report that are overlapping, if that means anything.

Thank you for reaching out!

The error you get is not related to custom visuals in your report.

The export feature is in preview and we are activly working to improve it.

Apologies for inconvenience.

olimilo
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

No worries! I'm just glad that the feature is there for us to use. 🙂 Hope it gets stable for regular use soon!

gianlucacalzati
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I'm trying to export my report in PowerPoint and I'm facing the following problems:

1) if I export the report directly, I get blank pages. The well-known workaround is that I have to save it everytime before exporting it, but it's really annoying.

2) In my report I have some images and background images (used as company default template), but when I try to export to PowerPoint they disappear.

3) Fonts color and alignment do not match on text boxes.

4) Text-quality for legend and labels or x-axis labels is defintely LOW.

Regards,

Gianluca

Thanks for your feedback!

1) you only need to save it again once. From then on, it should just work.
2) this is a known limitation. We have an item in our backlog to export background color for reports but no plans to background images at this point

3,4) those seem to be bugs, we will look into them

Any tips to solve this issue?  I'm trying to build a presentation for management, and the service is unable to export to PPT today.  Any workarounds would be much appreciated.

Activity IDb4c38829-da75-4855-a38a-963911cf3f0d

Request ID5a74826a-a851-536b-d29b-9d9ad865acf8
Correlation IDfc3cdba3-a512-fb80-c247-c07a95ce676f
Status code500
TimeWed Mar 22 2017 14:40:34 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.1439

supermarkt

This is a great new feature. Unfortunately it did not work for the latest reports I created. There are no error messages, but only the Title Slide is created, followed by an empty slide. It only works with an older report I did created for some reason. Can it be because I have created the new reports from the Power BI Desktop version and then published them?

For me it is a limitation that this can only be done from a report view, which I own and can access. Would be great if other can also eport to PPT from a Dashboard. Even better if it would be possibile to define in the share/access rights if a specific user is yes/no able to export the dashboard to PPT. This would be good as others than the person that actually created the Dashboard would need the graphs for reporting.

If you have any suggestions why my report content turns up empty in PPT, that would be much appriciated.

Anna_Karpova
Frequent Visitor

Quick follow up.

I've create measure to get my own captions, and I am getting the following erro:

Activity IDec05552b-33a5-4901-8f4c-93a2ec0c4f9e
Request IDb2d99d6d-00bc-5d52-2a40-61ed6bcafec0
Correlation IDdb656c4f-435e-3a12-01e0-96b299298430
Status code500
TimeTue Mar 21 2017 12:38:23 GMT+0300 (Russia TZ 2 Standard Time)
Version13.0.1700.1439
Anna_Karpova
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone!

I would like to thank Power BI team for this great feature!

However, I ran into blank pages problem at first. My repost includes 6 pages, and the first one includes a map. When I tried to import the whole report, I got blank pages. However if I delete the page with the interactive map on it, import works perfectly!

My question is whether this happens due to memory probblems, or there is no options to import reports with maps in them? I have looked through the conversation, and didn't see the mentioning of report with maps, I apologize if someone has spoke about that issue before.

Thank you very much!

Best,

Anna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors