Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tzvikei
Employee
Employee

Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feedback

This thread was created to gather feedback and communicate over the new Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feature in PowerBI.com.

Ask questions, suggest features, or leave general feedback. We will monitor closely.

Thanks,

Tzvi Keisar

Program Manager, Power BI

Tzvi Keisar
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft Power BI
295 REPLIES 295
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I did "Export to PowerPoint (Preview)", the downloaded PPTX file is just WHITE pages.

I have only 6 tabs, NO custom visuals used in the report.

I just have a page background (Image), Company logo on the top and the imported Theme.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

This is currently being fixed, pending production deployment within a few days.

- Ron

fitcja
Helper I
Helper I

Does anyone else get blank slides when they export?

Hi All,

Still It's not supporting for custom visualizations.

Regards,

Bajee. 

Can you provide any insight as to why my R script (ggplot) visualization, when exported to .pptx, says: ""R visuals are a Power Bi Pro feature. Only users with a Power BI Pro license can create, view..."

If an R script is a "custom visual", then I would suggest Microsoft's error/informational message is misleading. If R scripts are not really "custom" and I am a Power BI Pro licensee, then I missed something in the configuration.

njc

Hi Tzvi

I have been using PowerBI and have needed to export graphs into Powerpoint for management presentaions.

My feedback is as follows:

1. I would like to be able to select the screen size for the PPT I had to select 4:3 ideally i would like to be able to select A4 landscape so that I know how the charts will look on paper
  2. The size of the exported PPT is wider than the standard A4 landscape so when I copy and paste the charts to my compnay template they do not fit on the page.
  3. I would like to be able to export to my company branded PPTX template
  4. The colours of one of the pie charts changed when I exported them to PPT.
  5. The legend text viewed in Power BI is different when it exported to PPT so the  text became truncated which is no ggod for a presentation.
  6. When  I view the title text and legend text in PPT or print the presentation the text is pixelated

I have reverted to taking a screen grab of the charts in power BI and pasting them into PPT as the quality is better.

I hope these issues will be addressed soon as this is a feature we will be able to use a lot in or organisation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apart from the obvious adhering to set filters when exporting to Powerpoint we also have an issue with the 15 page limit. Is this something to be removed? Or at least the option to select which pages should be in the report. Not every user will always need all pages in the exported PPT. 

Thanks for your question. We are planning to allow selecting a subset of pages when exporting a report. Will update once we have a slated release date.

Hi,

We just started using this feature and its great!

However, similar to the demand that many other users have as well..

- Text duplication and overlapping 

- As well as the PPT file adjust to slicer selections (the most critical function for our usage)

What is the status of improvement on these two issues?

thank for reaching out.
Both of hte itmes are in our backlog, no slated release date yet.

blapsin
Frequent Visitor

Two questions/feedback points

Is it possilbe to exclude certain report elements from the export- for example slicers, which have no value on the static report.

Secondly can the image capture do so independently of the report page background image? Currently small fragments of the image are transferred if they are visible through the visualisations. Putting 'background' on the visualisation and setting to 0% trans white will resolve it but I find it far more attractive to have the image visible behind the reports when viewing in PBI.

Looking forward to future developments.

Thanks for reaching out!

There is no way to remove specific visuals from the export. Specifically for slicers that can help understand exactly what data is visualized in the exported image. We currently dont have plan to change it in our backlog.

Improving the background color to be on the entire slide instead of on hte visuals is in our backlog but I dont have a slated release date for it yet

fsmith246

Followed all the suggestions, but while it say it is creating the powerpoint and it may take a while, it seems to finish, but does not give a download at the bottom of the page nor indicate anywhere to find the pp file?  Anyone know where the PP file is?

I was having exactly the same problem using Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 - using Chrome it works fine, or Edge on Windows 10.  Not sure if it's anything to do with my work's firewall/anti-virus/whatever which is set up to monitor Internet Explorer, but doesn't link in with Chrome as much.

Are you on a Mac. If so, no idea as I had a similar thing happen to me.

If on a PC have you checked your downloads folder, or searched explorer for all pp files with todays date on it?

fsmith246

On the web site, under File, select "Export to PowerPoint", export to PowerPoint dialog box startes and circles for 3-4 mins.; Then nothing??? no download at bottom of screen; no error message; no indication of where the PP file is??   Anyone have any idea?

curtischong
Regular Visitor

This is a great feature if PBI team can get it to work.  I only was able to make it work on one of 20+ reports we have.  This is unfortuate as this would be another feature that can differtiate MSFT from other cloud BI venders.  It doesn't seem enough testing was done before making it available (even as preview).  It's like stating MSFT made a electric car, but only works for driver weighing 80 lbs, no other passengers, only can go straight, and only for 10 miles....great initiative, but please finish it.  

Timmooreuk

Hi there,

New to this forum and relatively new to PowerBI. I have a dashboard created by a colleague. I'm really keen to get this dashboard imported into a POwerpoint presentation. The issue I have come across is that having changed the dashboard by selecting a different Fiscal Year, for example, if I then try and export the view I have on my screen, what actually gets exported is the default dashboard.

Can you help?

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for raching out. 

Indeed, currently the Power Point integration preview, only exports the saved state of hte report.

It is in our backlog to support export of session level changes to hte report.

Thanks,

Ella

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@rongi @tzvikei

Is there any chance to change the page format of the exported power point?

At the moment it looks like it is generic 16:9 format, even if I have a 4:3 ratio for the Power BI reporting sheet.

Any ideas how to set 4:3 as the standard PPTX export format?

There is no such an option. But you can make a 4:3-format (or whatever you want) template in PowerPoint and save it as template (.potx) or (.potm with macro) and just copy all pages from exported file to the template. It worked for me. You can have Background or logo etc. too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors