Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tzvikei
Employee
Employee

Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feedback

This thread was created to gather feedback and communicate over the new Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feature in PowerBI.com.

Ask questions, suggest features, or leave general feedback. We will monitor closely.

Thanks,

Tzvi Keisar

Program Manager, Power BI

Tzvi Keisar
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft Power BI
295 REPLIES 295
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having a lot of issues with this feature. I know it's in preview but it would nice to understand are there any active fixes for anything in progress. I use to be able to export to PowerPoint but keep geeting the below error message. As well a collegue was actually able to get it to print to PDF but when the file is sent anywhere, the text comes out completly garbage as shown below:

Unable to export to PowerPoint

We couldn't export your report to a PowerPoint file
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID15dc0d08-bd4d-7b39-e1f6-32841eb28d93
Request ID877ab7ac-4638-a85f-5ef8-71714d6c7d47
Correlation ID1ceed84e-709c-bb28-3a6f-cea3a27b8b05
Status code500
TimeThu Feb 02 2017 12:07:49 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Version13.0.1700.1082

PowerBI PowerPoint Pic.jpg

Hi Mike,

We are sorry for the inconvenience. We are actively working on fixing issues and would really like to help.

Can you tell us what was changed since it used to work? Anything about the datasets the report is using?

As for print (to PDF) feature, this is not the correct thread.

Please contact us at our support email directly mpbisup@microsoft.com and I promise will work with you directly.

Regards,

- ron

Jose
Regular Visitor

Hi,  I keep getting this error which many other people seem to have but I do not see any solutions or this issue being adressed, can someone help? on the update from Tzvi Keisar I did not see this on the list of fixes, maybe there is a solution that I have not seen?

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID17a25d81-2dd9-46e2-abc2-1efd191ea957

Request ID1aa2b457-7e0b-9b0c-57dd-3649c069a60f

Correlation ID706e154b-a3b2-2fea-a481-d91aa97ef69d

Status code500

TimeTue Jan 31 2017 17:34:33 GMT+0100 (Romance Standard Time)

Version13.0.1700.1082

Cluster URIhttps://wabi-europe-north-b-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Thank you,

Hi Everyone,

Please contact our support email: mpbisup@microsoft.com, to enable us getting more details from you directly and trying helping you with those issues.

Regards,

- ron

Jose
Regular Visitor

I keep getting this error:

Activity ID17a25d81-2dd9-46e2-abc2-1efd191ea957

Request ID1aa2b457-7e0b-9b0c-57dd-3649c069a60f

Correlation ID706e154b-a3b2-2fea-a481-d91aa97ef69d

Status code500

TimeTue Jan 31 2017 17:34:33 GMT+0100 (Romance Standard Time)

Version13.0.1700.1082

Cluster URIhttps://wabi-europe-north-b-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Any solutions?

tabar
Helper I
Helper I

Aktivitäts-ID: 3071e170-95fe-4ab7-85c6-1e07d7fddb3d
Anforderungs-ID: b60b56d0-2c2f-8168-5ba5-eb49c6ce3bdc
Korrelations-ID: 7d667f2b-5a04-446b-5163-c1d0f760fca8
Statuscode: 500
Zeit: Fri Jan 27 2017 12:54:23 GMT+0100 (Mitteleuropäische Zeit)
Version: 13.0.1700.1015

Id like to start by Thanking the PowerBI team for finally implementing the export to Power Point Feature. This allows us to finally take PowerBI to new places we couldn't before.

I do have some notes below from using this feature for a while and preparing our Board packages through PowerBI.

1. Regarding the export Error allot of people have encountered. My report was named "TE&A" and it was constantly failing to export. I was getting a similar message to everyone else in the forum. After I changed the name to "TE and A" the report was exporting fine (I deleted the dataset and the report and then re uploaded from a pbix file with the new name). I don`t know why, but that did the trick for me.

2. We are currently trying to implement PowerBI as a method of producing our Board Packages for many of our business entities.  Ideally our businesses can filter the reports as required and export to power point for their final decks. We currently can not do that as PowerBI completely ignores the filters/ slicers.

3. Currently when exporting a table only the part that's visible in the visual exports. As a comparison the SSRS services; will export an entire table by separating it into many pages. This would be tremendously helpful as you cant always include everything in one page of the table.

4. Please introduce an option of exporting only individual pages. This would work well with the 15 page limitation.

Thank you very much for the work this team has put forward.

ilariacapone
Regular Visitor

Non è stato possibile esportare il report in un file di PowerPoint
Riprovare più tardi oppure contattare il supporto tecnico specificando le informazioni seguenti.

ID attività5b158f47-6086-48e3-b5fe-e1d37b6f6dc6
ID richiestaa8b79a05-b81e-e91f-473e-01152b592ea5
ID di correlazionefad2bbdc-91f7-0277-3bc9-277aa90d58db
Codice di stato-1
OraFri Jan 27 2017 09:51:07 GMT+0100 (ora solare Europa occidentale)
Versione13.0.1700.1015

Help me, please.

Thank you.

ilariacapone
Regular Visitor

Non è stato possibile esportare il report in un file di PowerPoint
Riprovare più tardi oppure contattare il supporto tecnico specificando le informazioni seguenti.

ID attività5b158f47-6086-48e3-b5fe-e1d37b6f6dc6
ID richiestaa8b79a05-b81e-e91f-473e-01152b592ea5
ID di correlazionefad2bbdc-91f7-0277-3bc9-277aa90d58db
Codice di stato-1
OraFri Jan 27 2017 09:51:07 GMT+0100 (ora solare Europa occidentale)
Versione13.0.1700.1015

Help me, please.

Thank you.

douglasbratten
Frequent Visitor

At the risk of repeating a number of feedbacks, it would be very useful if we could export one page to powerpoint, instead of the whole report.

Equally important would be being able to export the page/report, as updated by the users selection of filters, so that the Powerpoint becomes a wysiwyg function, rather than merely a copy of what the company wide adminisrator published.

mbuczyns

Please enable customization of ppt template. Would also be nice to export reports with > 15 pages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there!

Thanks for teh cool and important feature!

Any chance you will add option to export Filtered data on teh dashboard? My users want the option to quickly filter reports for their respective regions, depoartment etc and be able to export it to PPT.

I think it will make this feature complete! 🙂

sycomore69
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Is this preview only on the Online Service or is this also plan to have it on the Desktop as well ?

I discovered it today and it is super efficient.

What a gain of time in reporting preparation and in the communication.

Many thanks for that feature.

Thanks for the feedback! unfortunetly, currently we do not have plans to release export from dasktop.

Ooooh I second this! I love the desktop app. Having the ability to create the PPTX right then and there rather than having to upload then create the PPTX would be awesome. For me, it's not a requirement so much as it is a nice to have feature. 

tabar
Helper I
Helper I

I receive this error every time. There are just 3 pages and no custom visuals. 😞

Aktivitäts-ID3bd0698b-0b71-4f39-a852-b10cf3ef57b8
Anforderungs-ID27a3373c-a547-f8d3-3bbd-0613d642275b
Korrelations-IDd73dea4c-d52c-2b35-c56d-fcdb981efa56
Statuscode500
ZeitMon Jan 09 2017 16:50:40 GMT+0100
Version13.0.1700.899

tzvikei
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your feedback, we are delighted to see that this feature is accepted so passionately, even at its early stages.

We are looking into the issues that were reported in this thread, some of them are already solved, some are in progress, some are on the backlog.

Here are the feature asks that I've captured, that are on the roadmap (I'll communicate timelines when I have them):

• Export the report with the current filters/slicers state - this is the #1 ask here (and from everyone we hear from)
  • Support for custom visuals
  • support for more than 15 pages
  • support for custom report page size
  • Export dahboards

These are asks that are currently not on the backlog. If we hear them loud enough, they might get in at some point:

• support for interactive reports in PowerPoint (I have to say this is a completely different feature)
  • Export using user's PPTX template
  • select pages to export
  • Availability in PBI embedded

Stay tuned for updates, and thanks again for your feedback!

Tzvi Keisar

Power BI

Tzvi Keisar
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft Power BI

@tzvikei

What can I do to help push along the export with user's PPTX template? As I create presentations of the data I gather with Power BI, it's a bit time consuming to basically re-create a Power Point with the data. I really apprecaite the high quality of the images of the export, which is why I use it, but if I could have the company branding used as a template... man I'd save myself quite a bit of time 🙂

If I recall, this is something that @trebgatte mentioned in his post. 

Also, the "Select pages to export" I'lll second that motion!

myk83
Frequent Visitor

I've been trying to export some of my reports from the website, but the message box pops up to say it is exporting and will take a few minutes, and then disappears without anything downloading.  It's happening on all the reports that I've published - is there an issue with the preview service in general, or could it be me??

I'm using Windows 8.1 after my laptopt that I upgraded to Windows 10 had to go back for a warranty repair, and they sent it back with 8.1 now that the free upgrade period has expired 😞  So I'm using Internet Explorer 11 if that makes any difference?

EDIT: I also tried to click the smiley face for feedback, but it doesn't do anything when I click on Submit an idea or Submit an issue 😞

martina
Advocate I
Advocate I

This functionality is great but:

1) chiclet slicers are turned into "Custom visuals are not currently supported". When would it support?

2) No option to select which tabs should be exported. That means to duplicate the reports. The issue is when data is republished from power bi desktop any duplicated reports do not get updated.

mitsu
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

When ever a report page has a Visual  with  scroll bar the export would only bring in the  part oftable or Matrix visible on the screen  and ignore the content that is required to be scrolled . It would be great if the ability to scroll thru the visuals is enabled when exported to PP.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors