Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NickTrent32
Advocate II
Advocate II

Export to PDF/PowerPoint Not Respecting End-User Selections

I have a report published in a Premium Capacity workspace with row-level security applied. Within the report is a matrix with 5 drillable row level dimensions. The report also uses the new filtering experience.

When exporting to PDF or PowerPoint (PPT) from the Power BI service, drill location and applied filters are not being respected. I have tested this in both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, cleared the cache from both browers, and tried this with the new Power BI service look on and off. 

Is there a known issue with exporting to PDF or PowerPoint? I looked for a setting in the Workspace, while publishing the app, and in the report itself within the app to see if I need to enable this behavior but have had no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@GilbertQ The report I'm testing with was first created earlier this month and published to the Power BI service at the same time. I confirmed that I am on the newest version of Power BI Desktop and republished for testing again. Version: 2.73.5586.661 64-bit (September 2019)

It appears that other users are now having the same issue:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Powerpoint-will-not-Export-Current-Values/idi-p/795810

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Export-to-PowerPoint-not-respecting-the-current-filters/m-p...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Are you trying to export the data?
If so you would always be an admin and see all the data.

Also if users are part of the App Workspace and have any other permission besides "Viewer" they too would be able to see all the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ -

No, this is not related to exporting data. The row-level security is working as intended. I added that descroption to provide more context for my issue.

The issue is when exporting to PDF or PowerPoint (PPT) from the Power BI service, drill location and applied filters are not being respected. Below are the steps I'm following:

1. Reset the report to default
  2. Filter using the new filtering experience
  3. Expand a row in a matrix using the + icon
  4. Export to PDF and/or PowerPoint

After following those steps, the filter I applied and the drill location are ignored in the screenshots visible in the PDF and PowerPoint (PPT) that are exported.

NIck

Hi there

Thanks for the clarification, I do think that this is a current limitation within the exporting options.

I do know that you can only currently export with filtered values as shown below.

image.png

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ - According to this article, as of February 2019, users exporting to PDF or PPT using the "Current Values" selection should have their Filters and Drill Location respected.

Hi there

yes that is what I was showing you in my screenshot when exporting it gives you the option to export with our without the filters.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ  - I did use the Current Values option, with no luck. Even selecting Current Values, the export does not respect Filters, Drill Location, etc.

Hi there

Is this an older report?

The reason I ask is possibly there were changes made to the Power BI Desktop file, which need to be opened and uploaded for those changes to take effect.

The filtering does work for me when I export.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ The report I'm testing with was first created earlier this month and published to the Power BI service at the same time. I confirmed that I am on the newest version of Power BI Desktop and republished for testing again. Version: 2.73.5586.661 64-bit (September 2019)

It appears that other users are now having the same issue:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Powerpoint-will-not-Export-Current-Values/idi-p/795810

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Export-to-PowerPoint-not-respecting-the-current-filters/m-p...

I would suggest if the error persists to log a support request for the Power BI team to investigate your error.

Power BI Blog

I am now having the same issue (I just started a new thread about it actually).  But my exports are showing as if nothing was filtered (there were filters applied, and I used the correct "current values" export option).

I am nearly sure this used to work properly, but I don't export very much so I can't say exactly when it broke.

I guess I will open a support case about it.

CmdrKeene

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors