Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Export to PDF - Images not rendering

We are using the Image by CloudScope custom visual to dynamically display different images. This is a certified custom visual.

Power BI Desktop behaviour

I select Export to PDF and the PDF renders correctly with the image visible.

Power BI Online behaviour

I select Export to PDF and the PDF renders correctly except for the image, which is blank.

I have tried this with other image custom visuals and they display an error message "This visual does not support exporting".

EDIT:

The images are hosted in an Azure blob store. If I rehost the images on my personal website they export to PDF correctly. This is not a resolution however, as we have approximately 1 million images hosted in Azure specifically for reporting purposes.

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I am aware currently when exporting to PDF custom visuals are not supported.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. The PowerBI documentation says that it does support exporting custom visuals to PDF. The only thing it says it can't export is wallpapers and backgrounds. Also, I have edited my post to explain that the visual does support exporting but apparently only when the image is hosted on a public website.

Hi there

Thanks for the update, as per the requirements it appears that the images would have to be publicly accessible to be rendered?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

... as per the requirements it appears that the images would have to be publicly accessible to be rendered?

Sorry, are you asking me? Our requirement is to display privately hosted images dynamically in a Power BI report. We have achieved this using a Power BI certified custom visual. This visual renders correctly when exporting to PDF from the Power BI desktop app, but does not render correctly when exporting from the Power BI online app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors