Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Xaraja
Helper II
Helper II

Export to Excel Summarized Data

I am suddenly having users report problems with exporting to Excel when choosing the summarized data option. These users have always been able to do this in the past. I can't find anything online that explains the problems and am wondering if anyone else is seeing similar problems?

Here are some of the details I'm finding:

• For one dataset/user, the problem is that they (and I can reproduce the error myself when I test it) get the error "File couldn't be created Executing the Query for the Export Data operation resulted in an error". This error happens consistently, but only with some visuals in the report, and only when using the summarized data options with the file format of ".xlsx (Excel) with live connection" chosen. Any other options will work fine. 
  • For another dataset/user, the problem is that the Excel file that downloads is blank except for one filter box that contains no data. This is repeatable for the user but not for other users with the same permissions or for me as administrator. The user is using summarized data and the live connection file format. I have asked them to try the non live connection format but haven't heard back.
  • Both affected users are accessing these reports/datasets via apps and are not members of the workspaces.
  • Both affected datasets use row level security.
8 REPLIES 8
Xaraja
Helper II
Helper II

The workaround that I found was for users to change the file format selection on the Export to Excel with summarized data to be one of the options without the live connection. The users are satisfied but it is not truly a fix.

thank you, good find! I did not event notice that option.

Thanks, that works indeed. Good find !

Tim_H
Helper I
Helper I

I encounter the same isseu. Is there a working solution ?

KoKelderman

"For another dataset/user, the problem is that the Excel file that downloads is blank except for one filter box that contains no data. This is repeatable for the user but not for other users with the same permissions or for me as administrator. The user is using summarized data and the live connection file format. I have asked them to try the non live connection format but haven't heard back. "

I'm experiencing the exact same issue and haven't found a solution yet. Never happend before the february release.

This is still an issue.  Has anyone heard of any solution being pushed out???

Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @Xaraja,

It seems that there might be a problem with the export to Excel feature when using summarized data and the live connection file format for some users, as they are encountering either an error or a blank file.

It's possible that the issue is related to the row level security or the configuration of the apps they are accessing the reports through.

I suggest checking the settings and configurations of the apps, the row level security, and the PowerBI service to make sure everything is set up correctly.

Do not hesitate to reach out to me for further assistance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

The problem is with export to excel, using summarized data option, with the live connection, but I don't know why that is a problem and that's the answer I'm looking for.

I've already reviewed the permissions on the datasets (summarized data is allowed), the tenant settings (export to excel is allowed), the row level security (the users are able to do other export to excel options including summarized data without live connection, and no troubleshooting information I could find indicated RLS limits live connection to the data) and etc. I have not been able to find anything that indicates why summarized data with live connection would suddenly stop working. The only fix I was able to identify was a) to remove build permissions for the user so they no longer had the option to select the live connection file format or b) tell the user to change the file format on summarized data to one of the non live connection options. The users are satisfied with this as they just wanted a static excel file, but it doesn't answer the question of why this is occurring. 

Does anyone have this same issue? You might want to try it with a few different reports and different visuals within the reports yourself, as I found in troubleshooting that some reports worked fine while others would not allow me to export to Excel in summarized data format with live connection file format at all, while others would allow it for some visuals and not others in the same report. I am the Power BI administrator and am the admin on all workspaces I was testing in, so RLS was not an issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors