Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Export to Csv has formatting issue for the negative numbers

Hello,

Is there any workaround for the below mentioned issue.

My data has both positive and negative numbers. When i export the data to csv in desktop, the number formatting is fine.

But the export to csv from the service, is converting negative numbers to text format and the postive numbers are in the number format (both from the same column).

Not sure if it is a bug. Can someone help, please.

Thanks,

Soumya

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was having the same problem, exporting negative numbers with Power BI Desktop to CSV, I was getting an ' (hyphen) at the beginning of each negative number. I uninstalled Power BI Desktop and reinstalled the previous version (May 2020 Update (2.81.5831.621) - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive). Now it works. my suggestion is to use the previous version until the problem is not fixed.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test, it could not be a bug but a limitation of exporting to csv file, plesase consider this limitation:

When exporting to .csv certain characters will be escaped with a leading '.

In my environment, both of exporting to csv files are the same in power bi desktop and power bi service. The negative numbers will have a ' leading in the csv file, after you click the specific number in the formula bar of the column, it will have an error warning like this:

csv.png

The negative numbers are stored as text and you can convert them to number and save it normally.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is not an acceptable fix.  Not realistic in real world application. Users commonly export data to perform calculations on values.  Needs to be fixed ASAP.  It IS a bug.  It worked previously and now it is broken.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I could not replicate this issue when exporting to csv from desktop. It is only occuring when exporting from desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi , Did you get a solution to your issue, we are also facing the concern

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like a similar issue has been reported and microsoft is working on the fix. 

Please find more details and future updates here - 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Export-to-CSV-from-service-is-converting-negative-values-to-...

Same issue here, it just started happening and costing me a ton of time. It worked fine last month, has to be a bug...

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Cpgbi 

If it worked last month and now it means that between now and then there was an update somewhere that caused the incompatibility. The newest version of Power bi desktop and the latest Microsoft Excel version should give the best result.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It would appear to me to be a possible bug.

Just to confirm that your data type on the column is set to a number format?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors